What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PDF reports look terrible in PRTG 17.4

Votes:

I just updated to version 7.4 (from 7.2), and the emailed PDF reports from PRTG are a mess now, compared to 7.2. They are much less compact, and much harder to read. Is there any way to restore the previous formatting of reports?

email pdf report

Created on Nov 30, 2017 2:01:40 PM

Last change on Dec 6, 2017 9:00:07 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

We changed the rendering engine for PDF reports in version 19.2.50 or above. PRTG now uses Chromium instead of the deprecated PhantomJS to be able to generate PDF reports in a more reliable way. Screenshots that you generate for the support bundle also use Chromium now. Known issue: Please ensure port 9222 is not blocked on the PRTG core server system to generate PDF reports and screenshots.

The PRTG stable version 19.2.50 will be released in the next few days, the preview is already available.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on May 8, 2019 6:41:36 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,
we appreciate your contact.

Please double-check the PRTG Version that you're referring to. PRTG 7 is a very old version. The version we've just released is version 17.4.35, is this the version that you're referring to?

In this case we're aware of the issue and are going over all the individual reports to restore them to their original glory. This will be fixed in later releases (17.x.36, 18.x.37)..

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Dec 1, 2017 11:39:33 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

My apologies. I'm using 17.4.35.3441 and have identified part of the problem, but not the whole.

I discovered that some of the report includes had been renamed, which affected a report template I had customized. Updating the includes helped a ton, but did not fix another issue.

However, I've noted that the PDF reports generated do a pretty poor job with page breaks. No matter what I do charts and text are being split between pages, often right in the middle. I've tried using the CSS page break properties, but the PDF generator seems to be ignoring them. The resulting PDF's are really difficult to read, and do not print well.

Is there any way to forge a page break in the PDF output?

Created on Dec 5, 2017 3:53:40 PM

Votes:

Hello Dan, thank you for your reply.

I'm unable to confirm any peculiarities about the page-breaks in PDF reports, but the page breaks should also be looked into from our side and adjusted in the default reports/templates. This should be released as part of version 17.x.36 and/or 18.x.37.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Dec 6, 2017 8:59:58 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi,

We are running 18.2.39.1661 and get complaint from the user that lines are split on page breaks for PDF reports. Will this be solved in one of the coming releases?

Thanks, Ruud Louwersheimer

Created on Jan 18, 2019 9:49:54 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi,

We changed the rendering engine for PDF reports in version 19.2.50 or above. PRTG now uses Chromium instead of the deprecated PhantomJS to be able to generate PDF reports in a more reliable way. Screenshots that you generate for the support bundle also use Chromium now. Known issue: Please ensure port 9222 is not blocked on the PRTG core server system to generate PDF reports and screenshots.

The PRTG stable version 19.2.50 will be released in the next few days, the preview is already available.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on May 8, 2019 6:41:36 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.