What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Probe Health Disconnected

Votes:

Hi,

I recently added the syslog sensor to my PRTG install. I have one device sending Security Policy logs to it now. The problem is that the Probe Health keeps disconnecting. I think it's anytime i try and search through the syslog data that it causes the probe to fail. Any ideas on how i can troubleshoot what the problem is?

thanks

disconnected probe syslog

Created on Nov 30, 2017 6:58:23 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Does it actually disconnect once you open the message tab? Or just when you search the messages for certain values? Do the messages show up in the tab at all? Is the server running on a virtual machine?

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 1, 2017 12:27:09 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm able to search and get back results, but shortly after it disconnects. The server is running on a virtual machine and only started having issues when i added the syslog sensor. I'm running 827 Sensors but will be cutting that number down. My VM has 8GB of RAM and 4 cpus.

Also, I constantly get warning errors on the probe and then it disconnects. I'm guessing maybe there's some kind or threshold that I'm hitting but i have no idea what that threshold is?

thanks

Created on Dec 1, 2017 2:00:42 PM

Votes:

Not really - could you send us a support bundle via Setup | Contact Support after crashing the probe via the sensor click? Can't put my finger on it yet, may be something with the syslog database...

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 1, 2017 2:50:41 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I thought I'd update the thread just in case anybody else is having the same issue. . If I filter for data that exists then the memory issues doesn't happen. If I enter something in any of the fields that doesn't exist then the memory issue happens.

I have a ticket open so I"ll update this thread when i get it fixed.

Created on Dec 7, 2017 2:01:49 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.