What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Windows Update Status failed w/ HRESULT: 0x8013141A

Votes:

I'm running latest release V.17.4.36.3506 and I get the following message on all Windows Update Status sensors :

This sensor requires the PowerShell 2.0 (or higher) to be installed on the probe system. 
( Unhandled Exception: System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'System.Management.Automation, Version=3.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. Strong name validation failed. 
(Exception from HRESULT: 0x8013141A) ---> System.Security.SecurityException: Strong name validation failed. 
(Exception from HRESULT: 0x8013141A) --- End of inner exception stack trace --- at LastWindowsUpdateSensor.Program.Main(String[] args) ) (code: PE181)

powershell wmi-sensors wsus

Created on Dec 4, 2017 10:06:02 PM

Last change on Dec 5, 2017 9:59:35 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The problem is indeed related to PowerShell 2.0 and most likely also to the authentication mode.
I just upgraded my Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 2008 Server SP2 to WMF 3.0, including PowerShell 3.0.
I did strictly follow Microsoft guidelines:

One important last step remains to perform in a Powershell session:

• winrm set winrm/config/client/auth '@{Basic="True"}'

Running Powershell 3.0 on the probe and on all target Windows platforms, solve the main issue.

Created on Dec 5, 2017 4:31:03 PM

Last change on Dec 5, 2017 7:05:54 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

8 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

As the error message (This sensor requires the PowerShell 2.0 (or higher) to be installed on the probe system.) indicates, you need at least PowerShell Version 2 or higher installed on the Probe Server. To check which version is installed, run the following command in a PowerShell Console on the Probe:

$PSVersionTable.PSVersion

Best regards.

Created on Dec 5, 2017 10:03:41 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm running PRTG on Windows 7 Pro SP1. Powershell 2.0 is installed by default on any Win 7 platform.

Output from Powershell is:

Windows PowerShell
Copyright (C) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

PS C:\Users\philec> $PSVersionTable.PSVersion

Major  Minor  Build  Revision
-----    -----    -----  --------
2        0        -1      -1

PS C:\Users\philec>

I'm afraid that the issue is related to the PublicKeyToken causing exception error which returns HRESULT: 0x8013141A

Created on Dec 5, 2017 1:45:23 PM

Last change on Dec 5, 2017 7:05:22 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

The problem is indeed related to PowerShell 2.0 and most likely also to the authentication mode.
I just upgraded my Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 2008 Server SP2 to WMF 3.0, including PowerShell 3.0.
I did strictly follow Microsoft guidelines:

One important last step remains to perform in a Powershell session:

• winrm set winrm/config/client/auth '@{Basic="True"}'

Running Powershell 3.0 on the probe and on all target Windows platforms, solve the main issue.

Created on Dec 5, 2017 4:31:03 PM

Last change on Dec 5, 2017 7:05:54 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there,

Great to hear that an update of the PowerShell Version solved your issue. :)

Best regards.

Created on Dec 5, 2017 7:06:20 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We have the exact same issue after the last update. Does this mean we suddenly need to update all our servers to Powershell version 3?

Created on Dec 14, 2017 8:28:54 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

This is correct. Please note that the sensor needs at least PowerShell Version 3. Please also note that PowerShell is already 6 years old, so an update would be quite good. :)

Best regards.

Created on Dec 15, 2017 8:41:42 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hey,

Thats true. Updating is a good thing. The windows 2008, 2008r2 and 2012 and SBS2011 servers we are running are all fully up-to-date (according to Windows Update). Powershell is not bering pushed to these servers, because is can break a lot of stuff.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=34595

Its not fully compatible with Server SBS 2011.

Its manually installed (NOT windows update) on 2008 + 2008r2 server.

And we only need to do this for the update of the PRTG sensor?

Thanks for your update.

Peter

Created on Dec 15, 2017 10:40:22 AM

Votes:

Hi Peter,

As explained, the sensor is designed for more modern systems and uses commands for more stability and better performance which are only available in PS v3.

Best regards.

Created on Dec 15, 2017 1:14:46 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.