What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor Microsoft File Cluster service

Votes:

Hy there,

as sampe to discribe my problem: we have a two node microsoft file cluster. Both nodes are VMs based von VMWare Hosts. The volumes are mounted as RDM direct to the VMs. So microsoft cluster service was installed and four volumes assigned to four cluster roles.

What I want to do is to monitor the disk usage on these disks. When I add an snmp disk sensor to VM1 or VM2 I can only monitor the connected disks. So if I do an windows update on the VMs I have to switch disks/roles to the other VM and at this point my monitoring indicates an error because disk has gone (make sense).

What is the best way to monitor disk usage on virtuall microsoft cluster with prtg?

Thanks a lot and regards Alexander

filecluster mscs prtg

Created on Dec 6, 2017 8:55:48 AM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello Alexander,

Did you give the WMI Volume Sensor a try?

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Dec 6, 2017 5:46:03 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Erhard,

Yes I did a try but without success. (TOctCheckWMIMetaBase.MetaWork: timeout while waiting in WorkEnter). I tried at the cluster and as well on the VMs.

Best regards Alexander

Created on Dec 7, 2017 7:31:53 AM

Votes:

Hello Alexander,

Ok, seems the response takes a while and the sensor runs into a timeout then. I've sent you an email with instructions how this timeout can be set to a higher value so you might have a chance to add the sensor successfully.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Dec 7, 2017 9:15:08 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Erhard,

I´ve not yet received an email?

Best regards Alexander

Created on Dec 7, 2017 10:12:02 AM

Votes:

Hello Alexander,

I've sent it to the email address that is associated in your knowledgebase user profile (alex*.gri*@a*.com) and we received no error about the email not being deliverable or something like that.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Dec 7, 2017 11:41:13 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.