What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

ADO SQL sensor throws buffer error on Informix ODBC

Votes:

I can't get an ADO SQLv2 sensor to work with an Informix DB through ODBC on a Windows Server 2012. Tests through Windows odbcad32 work without any errors. The sensor ist setup with default settings and the connection string is a simple "Provider=MSDASQL;Dsn=_name_of_system_dsn;" This triggers the following driver error:

ERROR [HY000] [Informix][Informix ODBC Driver][Informix]Internal communications buffer management error detected

According to the IBM knowledgebase, this usually indicates faulty RAM. However, since the ODBC test on its own works, I suspect something's going wrong between prtg - msdasql provider - odbc?

ado informix odbc

Created on Dec 6, 2017 10:17:55 AM

11 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Are you getting the very same error when using the actual EXE file, configured accordingly:
C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System\SQLv2.exe

The IBM Informix Client SDK is installed as well? The provider to use would be Ifxoledbc.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 6, 2017 11:38:35 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 6, 2017 11:38:43 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Stephan

I was able to solve it thanks to your quick answer. I was using the wrong provider (MSDASQL instead of IFXOLEDBC). Additionally, I thought it's be enough to provide only the system DSN name. Turns out, to use IFXOLEDBC you need to set additional parameters in your connection string according to the examples listed here: https://www.connectionstrings.com/ibm-informix-ole-db-provider.

Created on Dec 6, 2017 12:15:22 PM

Last change on Dec 6, 2017 12:15:22 PM

Votes:

Hi Silas,

Cool! Glad it's working now :)

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Dec 6, 2017 12:27:33 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I can't get an ADO SQLv2 sensor to work with an Informix DB. We have an Informix DB running on a Linux Server. The sensor is setup with the connection string: Provider=Ifxoledbc;Data Source=xxxx@xxxxxxx;User ID=xxxxxx;Password=xxxxxx;. The IBM Informix Client SDK is installed on the core Server/local Probe. I get an Sensor error: Fehlercode: E_FAIL(0x80004005) How can i solve the Problem?

Created on Sep 4, 2018 2:33:59 PM

Last change on Sep 5, 2018 7:43:37 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Do you get the same error while trying to run the sensor manually as mentioned by Stephan? It's located in the directory of the probe:

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System\SQLv2.exe

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 5, 2018 7:45:47 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Which Information do I have to type in under the Settings:

• Type ->ADOSQL?
  • Server ->Servername of the VM?
  • Port ->?
  • Database -> xxxx@xxxxx?
  • Domain -> Our Domain
  • Username -> xxxxxx
  • Password -> xxxxxx

With these Information i get an error "Das Format der Initialisierungszeichenfolge stimmt nicht mit der Spezifikation überein, die bei Index '0' beginnt". Could you give me an example for the Information i need to fill in in the GUI. How can I check the DB Connection between the local probe and the Informix DB

Created on Sep 6, 2018 11:48:04 AM

Last change on Sep 10, 2018 12:59:25 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Georgi,

ADOSQL sensors require a connection string as described here. Does it work with this key:

Provider=Ifxoledbc;Data Source=dbName@serverName;User ID=myUsername;
Password=myPassword;

Kind regards,

Created on Sep 10, 2018 1:16:20 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Felix Saure,

I used this string in the Sensor but i get an Sensor Error: Fehlercode: E_FAIL(0x80004005)

Created on Sep 10, 2018 3:00:41 PM

Votes:

Hello,

E_FAIL(0x80004005) errors are related to machines running in a virtual box. Please copy the sensor folder to a not virtualized Windows machine and start the sensor from there:

Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System\

Does it connect correctly from there?

Kind regards,

Created on Sep 13, 2018 7:45:37 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

I copied the Folder "Sensor System" to my local drive and installed IBM Informix Client SDK. When I run the SQLv2.exe I get the error: "No error message available, result code: E_FAIL(0x80004005)

Screenshot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/kxp5l5eegsmozk7/SQL_ibm_fehler.JPG?dl=0

Created on Oct 8, 2018 1:44:40 PM

Votes:

Hello Georgi,

Could you please also try a different connection tool, like this one, to see if the connection works in general?

Kind regards,

Created on Oct 9, 2018 8:01:59 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.