What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Procedure to backup and restore PRTG

Votes:

Hello,

What is the procedure to backup and restore PRTG?

Which folders should I protect?

Is it necessary to stop some service during the backup?

For server core and remote probe.

Thank you.

prtg snmp wmi

Created on Dec 6, 2017 9:05:21 PM

7 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Sandro,
Thanks for your KB-posting.

• If you want to backup your entire PRTG Configuration including all monitoring data, please refer to this guide
  • If you want to restore a previous configuration, please refer to this guide
  • You want to know how and where PRTG store its data? - please refer to this KB-article
  • If you want to migrate your entire PRTG instance to another host, please refer to our migration guide
  • If you want to migrate a Remote Probe to another host, please have a look at this guide

Best regards,
Sven

Created on Dec 7, 2017 6:45:10 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Last change on Sep 1, 2020 5:13:15 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Hello!

Have you detailed guide for restoring the PRTG from the scratch? For example i have a full backup of Program Directory, Data Directory and System state and my old server has totally lost, which guide i need to refer? Or i can use one of this ones?

Thank you.

Created on Sep 30, 2019 2:26:40 PM

Votes:

Hey Vasiliy,

basically, you can follow the 4th guide from above which addresses the migration of a PRTG instance. But in your case, you do not copy the data from a source server but from your backup.

Best regards,
Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Created on Oct 1, 2019 4:43:45 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Hi.

whether during the process of upgrading to a new version PRTG is unable to rise again?

Which of these steps do I follow?

Do I need to have the old version to restore to the previous state?

Thank you.

Created on May 11, 2020 4:26:05 PM

Votes:

Hi Sandro,

You can simply update PRTG on top of the existing installation. You can use this installer as long as the maintenance is valid. http://downloads.paessler.com/prtg/prtg.zip

Just use this installer over the existing version. Your configuration and historic data will not be affected. The downgrade was mentioned by Sven in bullet point one.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on May 12, 2020 5:43:03 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

this installer is the latest version are stable right? If so, this will work because it is a version like the one I installed, that is, the last version I had a problem with. An example.

My question is whether I install a stable version (recently) and that version does not work for any reason on the server. Even if I reinstall the newer version again it doesn't work.

So I have to go back to the previous version that was working, but the server will already be with the latest version but it is not working.

Can I get the version that was before the update and do the installation? Will the installer let you install a previous version on top of a newer one, without me having to remove everything?

Thank you.

Created on May 12, 2020 10:13:00 AM

Votes:

Hello Sandro,

Thanks for your reply!

As mentioned by Sven, it will require a previous configuration, at least if you downgrade from version .58 or above. Since this major version included code which prevents old configuration files to load. Here is the link again.

The directory for previous versions is located in this directory:

Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\PRTG Installer Archive

If you want to keep more previous versions, you need to frequently backup these folders.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on May 13, 2020 7:44:27 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.