What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Slow performance office network

Votes:

Hello,

I've a problem that sometimes the network response to the internet is slow. When I connect directly to the modem no problems but when the data travels throw the internal network its much slower. Normal internet pages have no problem, but we are using a program/website that have to load PDF pages. This is much slower when it have to travel throw our network and after time its become slower and slower.

Now I have installed an Rapsberry Pi with the QoS monitoring and the RTT is around 20ms. The network is as follows. ISP modem vlan1>switch1>switch2>switch3>switch4>vlan1 Firewall/Fortigate vlan2 >switch4>switch3>switch2>switch1>workstation.

ISP wan adres is travel over vlan 1 to the fortigate firewall and then travels back over vlan 2 to the client. The raspberry Pi is also connected to switch 1 and PRTG is on switch 4 both in the same vlan.

prtg qos-roundtrip raspberry-pi slow-connection

Created on Dec 11, 2017 1:32:24 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

My Question is how can I locate the problem. Now I'm measuring a RTT of 20ms is that normal for a local network?

Created on Dec 12, 2017 7:55:11 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately, we can't really troubleshoot this as this is more a job for a network professional which analyzes the network more extensively and most likely knows where the physical bottlenecks are. According to some research, these are typical timings for local RTT-Values:

• 100BASE-TX-Ethernet <1 ms
  • WLAN 802.11b 10 ms
  • Generic Cable 10 ms
  • ADSL 6000 ohne Fastpath 40 ms
  • ADSL 2000 ohne Fastpath 55 ms
  • ISDN 200 ms
  • UMTS 300–400 ms
  • GPRS 700-1000 ms

(Source: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paketumlaufzeit)

Best regards.

Created on Dec 12, 2017 11:23:57 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for the response!

Created on Dec 12, 2017 11:35:18 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.