What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMPv3 placeholders

Votes:

Is there any way to pass SNMPv3 information via placeholders for custom EXE's or scripts? I've found placeholders for SNMPv2 information, such as community, as well as Windows username/password and linux username/password, but I can't seem to find any information that would allow for SNMPv3 user, auth method, auth password, priv method and priv password. I'd prefer not to have to pass them as plaintext in the sensor or hardcode them in the script.

custom-script-exe placeholders prtg snmp snmpv3

Created on Dec 19, 2017 12:03:58 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello there, thank you very much for your contact.

The documentation is correct, at this time placeholders for SNMP v3 are not implemented/available yet. The reason for this is very little feedback/requests for this at this time.

Consider using a system variable on the probe system, hard-coding the credentials in the script or re-entering these details in the Parameters Field (e.g. -auth sha -user user -password mypassword -encryption aes )

For any further questions or issues, we're glad to help.

Created on Dec 19, 2017 12:41:37 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Thank you for that response! When you say system variable, are you meaning defining these as environment variables at the Windows level? And do you know if there might be any intent to add snmpv3 placeholders in the future?

Created on Dec 19, 2017 4:33:11 PM

Votes:

Hello,
thank you for your reply.

Thank you for that response! When you say system variable, are you meaning defining these as environment variables at the Windows level?

Yes, that's what I meant. It's one way to have it accessible by all scripts when they run on the host. The other option would be to include/import a file that contains this data when the script runs/starts.

And do you know if there might be any intent to add snmpv3 placeholders in the future?

Currently there are no plans to do so, as SNMP V3 is not really widely use by our customers at the present time. I wouldn't rule it out completely since it makes a lot of sense, but there are currently no concrete plans to do it.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Dec 20, 2017 2:10:47 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.