What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is it possible to create maps on the master node and cluster transfer them to the other nodes?

Votes:

I want to create maps and have the same maps available on the fail over nodes. I wanted to have the fail over nodes act as read only nodes for sensor statuses and map displays instead of everyone on one server. Have 1 failover node as a customer view site.

clustering customer maps prtg8

Created on Aug 12, 2010 12:43:43 PM

Last change on Mar 8, 2011 9:59:21 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

3 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 8 only. Behavior will be different in PRTG 9.

Deployment of Maps

PRTG's maps are automatically deployed to all nodes in a cluster, so they're available on the failover nodes. By default, failover nodes are read-only anyway.

Deploy Background Images Manually

In PRTG 8, background images for maps will not be deployed to the cluster automatically. If you want to view maps with a background image on every node, please deploy it to the failover nodes manually:

• The background image(s) are located in the \website\mapbackground sub-directory of your PRTG installation(s).
  • Please copy them from the master node to all failover nodes.

Note: In PRTG v9 the images will be deployed automatically.

Created on Aug 12, 2010 3:26:27 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Mar 4, 2011 2:44:57 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Question regarding MAPS! If i use cluster i open my map by url http://server/map, this on Master Node, but if Master Node fail and i use failover node i need to manually change url to http://server2/map. Is there any way to have some universal url what change by itself? For ex. if our monitoring group have this maps on big screen they need to change this url manual or it can change itself somehow?

Created on Sep 7, 2018 9:45:10 AM

Votes:

Vasiliy, I'm very much afraid the PRTG Cluster cannot redirect/forward URLs like that. Technically, if the master node is down, it just cannot possibly forward / redirect URLs anymore to the failover node. It would require a load balancer in front of the two nodes.

Created on Sep 10, 2018 8:36:33 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.