What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Core Service does not start in timely fashion

Votes:

The trial version of PRTG has been working but I am approaching the end of the trial and, since I am using this at home with fewer than 100 sensors, I would like to continue to use the freeware version. However, the PRTG Core Server Service will not start. When I try to start the Core Server in Windows Services, I get the error message "Windows could not start the PRTG Core Server Service on Local Computer. Error 1053: The service did not respond to the start or control request in a timely fashion." I have tried rebooting, uninstalling/reinstalling, and several other suggestions from your Knowledge Base and Google searches. Please help.

core-server-service prtg will-not-start

Created on Dec 28, 2017 4:02:08 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Datippin,

There is a known issue which effects the start of the core server. Please navigate to the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\64 bit" and check if there is a folder named ".\snmptemp\mib_indexes". If this is the case, rename the directory and try to start the service.

If such a directory does not exist, kindly check if there is a NET-SNMP installation located in the directory "C:\usr\".

We'd appreciate your feedback if the service starts correctly afterwards.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Dec 29, 2017 2:12:25 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

7 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Please open the Event Viewer of Windows and search for Errors under "Windows Logs > Applications". Is there any Error related to PRTG? If so, please post the upper details of the Error (which Applikation caused the issue, which DLL and so on).

Best regards.

Created on Dec 29, 2017 8:09:48 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dariusz,

There are several errors similar to the following:

Faulting application name: PRTG Server.exe, version: 17.4.36.3670, time stamp: 0x5a37cd3c Faulting module name: PaesslerSNMP.dll, version: 5.7.2.3, time stamp: 0x5981e9be Exception code: 0xc0000409 Fault offset: 0x000000000008474c Faulting process id: 0x630 Faulting application start time: 0x01d37ff44eefc51c Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\64 bit\PRTG Server.exe Faulting module path: C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\64 bit\PaesslerSNMP.dll Report Id: a45b4540-cb9a-4494-8d55-3bb1d3ac0ab0 Faulting package full name: Faulting package-relative application ID:

Thanks for your help, Dave

Created on Dec 29, 2017 12:50:56 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Datippin,

There is a known issue which effects the start of the core server. Please navigate to the directory "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\64 bit" and check if there is a folder named ".\snmptemp\mib_indexes". If this is the case, rename the directory and try to start the service.

If such a directory does not exist, kindly check if there is a NET-SNMP installation located in the directory "C:\usr\".

We'd appreciate your feedback if the service starts correctly afterwards.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Dec 29, 2017 2:12:25 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Felix,

Renaming "mib_indexes" solved the problem. Thank you!

Best regards, Dave

Created on Dec 29, 2017 2:29:41 PM

Votes:

If you have an existing NET-SNMP installation on your system, the environment variable %SNMPCONFPATH% might have been set as well. You can check this in a cmd shell by typing:

echo %SNMPCONFPATH%

If it returns a path i.e. D:\usr\etc\snmp, you're gonna have to have a look at the file snmp.conf found there, and see if "persistentDir" has been set in it.

On my system it has been set to "persistentDir D:/usr/snmp/persist"

This means PRTG will store its temporary MIB indexes in D:\usr\snmp\persist\mib_indexes and not in .\snmptemp\mib_indexes as suggested above.

I deleted the files found there (they were corrupt), and then I was able to start both the core server and probe services again.

The developers should take a look at this, as I think it's unwise that PRTG's NET-SNMP library uses the very same directory as a pre-existing NET-SNMP installation on the system for storing its temporary files.

Created on Sep 23, 2021 3:47:14 PM

Last change on Sep 24, 2021 6:44:06 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Ivan,

Thanks for sharing your findings with the community, much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 24, 2021 10:10:53 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Ivan,

Thanks for sharing your findings with the community, much appreciated.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 24, 2021 10:11:04 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.