What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

External EXE/Script did not return a response (code: PE087)

Votes:

Hi,

I am facing this error :"External EXE/Script did not return a response (code: PE087) " when I try to run power shell script in custom sensor-exe/script. I read other posts regarding same issue and I gave admin account in log on services. Still getting same error. My PS script is checking IIS logs and returning status codes count which works fine when run on power shell command.

Please suggest what I am doing wrong or any other settings required in PRTG which I m missing.

TIA.

custom-sensor prtg-free-license script

Created on Jan 4, 2018 9:40:07 AM

Last change on Jan 4, 2018 9:55:32 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

4 Replies

Votes:

Just to add to above post, I am using PRTG latest trial version and running on local machine. Also, my script reads IIS log file and check status code and generate csv file with matching status codes and its count.Also, I have .Net 4.5 and 4.6 installed. But script only giving error code of PE087 and not for any .net version. But still not sure what can be the cause.

Created on Jan 4, 2018 10:01:41 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

It seems that the script does not output any valid result. Please activate the "Write EXE result to disk" option in the sensor's settings and forward us the log files (Result of Sensor XXX.Data.txt and Result of Sensor XXX.txt) located on the corresponding probe under "C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (Sensors)". Please forward us the logs via mail to "[email protected]". Please put "PAE976595" into the subject line.

Best regards.

Created on Jan 4, 2018 2:02:34 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

hi..Thanks for you reply.

But I can not find this path :C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (Sensors) I have PRTG Network Monitor folder under program files(x86), I checked there and cant find logs. Also I am running powershell script. I enabled "write sensors result to disk option" but still no luck. Please help what I am missing here.

Created on Jan 5, 2018 6:43:52 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

The "ProgramData" folder is usually hidden by default in Windows. Please paste the entire path in the Windows Explorer Address Bar and the folder should come up successfully.

Best regards.

Created on Jan 5, 2018 7:45:50 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.