What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

WMI Custom String Sensor

Votes:

Hello,

I have setup a WMI Custom String sensor to grab the hostname from a cluster interface (to identify the current physical host).

When I first create the sensor, it initially receives the correct string response and the result it shown in the 'Message' column (e.g. "ServerHostName123").

After approx 30sec later, the sensor is still green, but the 'Message' column now only shows 'OK'. It never shows the string in the message column again.

If I delete and recreate the sensor, I get the same behaviour each time.

Am I missing something? Are you aware of a bug with this sensor?

PRTG Network Monitor 17.4.36.3595

___Sensor Details ___ Contents of the WQL file: "SELECT Name FROM Win32_ComputerSystem" NameSpace = root\CIMV2 Unit String = # If value changes = Ignore change Response must include = For Keyword Search Use = Plain text Response Must Not Include = For Keyword Search Use = Plain text Maximum Length of String = Extract Number Using Regular Expression = No extraction Sensor Result = Discard sensor result

custom string wmi

Created on Jan 10, 2018 4:23:36 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi there,

The issue is known for quite some time now, unfortunately, we couldn't find the actual cause of this. It's still under investigation, but remains to be actually fixed. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 10, 2018 12:33:34 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jan 10, 2018 12:34:58 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.