What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Real map editing?

Votes:

Hi,

I'm new to PRTG and I'm currently transferring the objects from our old monitoring tool to PRTG. It was a very graph-oriented tool, every group was a map/submap, every device has an icon and so on. My most time consuming task is, to explain my fellow users, why their familiar, nice and colorful pictures are gone... So, I'm doing maps in PRTG. Plenty of.

The first question that arises: Isn't there a REAL editor for PRTG maps? The map-designer is nice, but for me it looks like a "write once, read never" thing. What when I want to make minor changes to an existing map, p.e. change from "Sunburst" to "Sunburst without paused"? Is "delete-and-create-new" really the only option?

From other products (Network Weathermap) I know crappy map editors, but there was always an option to edit the maps "source code" (p.e. txt or xml). Is something like that possible in PRTG?

Regards Stefan

editor maps prtg

Created on Jan 12, 2018 8:57:40 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Stefan,

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate it. I'm afraid the current map editor won't experience any substantial changes int the future, but we're planning to replace it with a different component. Right now I have no ETA on this, since currently other topics have higher priority.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jan 12, 2018 11:00:55 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I strongly support Stefan's request cheers, Jan

Created on Aug 28, 2019 9:52:27 AM

Votes:

See also here, there is meanwhile a public roadmap.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Aug 28, 2019 10:22:23 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.