What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Feature request - Global edit sensors by type

Votes:

Hello,

I'd really like to configure sensors by type, such as setting sensor scanning intervals. Some sensors, I'd like to check every 10 seconds, such as ping, some sensors I'd like to check every minute, such as CPU, network interface bandwidth, and IIS page load times, some sensors I'd like to only check every 24 hours, such as disk space, Windows Update status, SSL certificate status, and uptime.

Currently, the inheritance option is device based, not sensor type based. It would really cut down on the number of WMI calls that my probes would need to run, and would reduce the resource utilization of monitoring in my production environment.

Thank you for your time and consideration. I've completed my free trial, I'm down to the 100 free sensors, and I'd really like to purchase this product, but this is one of the annoyances that is holding me back.

I would, as a potential customer, really like to see a UserVoice site used for PRTG. I've read the blog posts from the CEO about keeping the product road map secret, fair enough, but as a potential buyer, it's information that I want to see as part of the purchasing decision. I'd also like to see the connection from feature request to completion, so I'm reassured that the company is receptive to their customers' feature requests.

feature-request ping-sensor snmp-sensor wmi wmi-sensors

Created on Jan 15, 2018 8:18:29 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Marc,

Thanks for your feedback, much appreciated!

Are you aware of the Multi-Edit feature? Sounds pretty much like what you need :)

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 15, 2018 8:46:42 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hey Stephan, thank you for your swift reply!

Unfortunately no, I'm hoping to set a global default for a sensor type, once, that applies to existing sensors and new sensors as they are created, not having to remember to configure each sensor as I create them. I'm hoping further development will be done in this area to provide this capability; I believe PRTG will be a stronger product with it.

Similarly, I'm hoping that further development is invested in templates, so I can create templates that can be applied to existing devices and new devices, based on a device categorization. For all devices where the host OS is Windows Server, I'd like to have this set of sensors created: ping, memory, CPU, network interface bandwidth, etc., where the other sensors are dependent on the ping sensor, rather than using the sensor recommendation engine, then having to delete unneeded sensors. Of course, role-specific sensors, such as IIS, SQL, Exchange, etc. could still be added afterwards.

My objective is to minimize the management time required to configure and maintain the solution, and these are two areas where I feel like I'm spending more time than it's worth.

Created on Jan 15, 2018 9:29:19 PM

Votes:

You might want to check this one out: PrtgAPI by lordmilko - it uses the API to configure PRTG and well...automation is the administrator's best friend ;)

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 16, 2018 9:00:06 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.