What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

MX Record Senor not working on PRTG Server

Votes:

Hi All - I have managed to get a DNS (MX Record) Sensor working on a remote probe (which is a domain controller and dns server) but I can't get it working on the PRTG core server as a sensor - it just reports error PE022.

Do I need to enable the "DNS Server" role on the PRTG server for the DNS sensor to work on the PRTG core server?

Thanks TG

dns mx-records pe002 prtg

Created on Jan 15, 2018 9:54:17 PM

9 Replies

Votes:

Are you using a custom sensor, or the DNS sensor included with PRTG? That error is related to EXE sensors.

Created on Jan 16, 2018 11:41:13 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Hi Benjamin

Thanks for the reply. I'm using the custom DNS sensor on the local probe (which is an Azure VM W2016 Server)

Thanks TG

Created on Jan 17, 2018 8:22:00 AM

Votes:

I can't say I'm familiar with a custom DNS sensor. Is this a custom script sensor?

Created on Jan 18, 2018 1:58:38 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Hi Benjamin

Sorry I didn't mean to type the word custom - its just a normal DNS sensor with MX Record option ticked?

Thanks TG

Created on Jan 18, 2018 7:57:00 AM

Votes:

Does the PRTG server have an MX record in your DNS?

This sensor takes the IP of the host, and does an DNS query on it. So you're asking for DNS to return the MX record for your PRTG server.

Created on Jan 19, 2018 1:22:20 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

No the PRTG server does not have an MX Record - I wanted to use it to look up other public MX records for clients of ours.

I got the MX record sensor working on a remote probe server which doesn't have any MX records on it either nor does it host any. The only difference between the PRTG server and the remote server is that the remote server is my domain controller and is also a local DNS server for my lan.

I don't know why the PRTG server wont use its own public DNS to resolve the MX records of our clients domains?

Created on Jan 19, 2018 6:12:21 AM

Votes:

If the server the DNS sensor is on, does not have the record type that you are polling for, it will return an error.

The DNS sensor is used to verify that the correct DNS record is being returned for the target host.

So if you put a DNS sensor asking for the A Name of a server, the sensor will return OK and the IP address it received from DNS with the A Name.

If you ask for the MX record, and there is none, it will return an error.

What was the returned value for the MX record of that Remote Probe?

Created on Jan 19, 2018 7:27:08 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Thanks - I think you might be getting confused and me as well :-)

I have a remote probe - PRTG will also be to create a DNS Sensor and select MX record option - it then asks me what domain would I like to look up the MX record for e.g. microsoft.com and then the sensor asks me to populate what it should return.

When I save the sensor (on the remote probe device - which also is a domain controller and DNS server) it will go and check the MX record of microsoft.com and check it against the value in the sensor and let me know if it passes (green) or fails (red).

When I create this exact same sensor on the PRTG core server (which is not a domain controller or DNS server) the sensor returns nothing. Even though on the PRTG core server can resolve DNS queries (as I can run a command in the command line to get the correct MX record for microsoft.com)

I'm wondering why the sensor works on the remote probe and not on my local PRTG core server?

Created on Jan 19, 2018 7:32:26 PM

Votes:

Ok, let's have you turn on the option in Settings to Write the Result to Disk.

The result file is located in %programdata%/Paessler/PRTG Network Monitor/Logs(Sensors)

Let me know what the file indicates.

Created on Jan 22, 2018 5:46:53 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.