What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Dell OpenManage Storage monitoring - overall status og virtual disk

Votes:

As far as I can see, the "SNMP Dell PowerEdge System Health" does not include channels for Storage, only Chassis.

Is there a way of monitoring the Storage "node" in OMSA?

I am aware that there is a sensor for physical disk, but I would rather monitor the overall Storage status or virtual disk status than a sensor for every physical disk. We are small enough that we do not have a problem with manually checking OpenManage on the server with Storage warning to see what is going on and physical disk monitoring will take up many sensor licenses.

dell omsa openmanage prtg snmp storage

Created on Jan 17, 2018 7:49:14 AM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Tore,
thank you for your KB-Post.

Yes, it should be possible to monitor any OID from the StorageManagement-MIB, as long as you know what you're looking for.

If you're looking for an overall enclosure state I believe that this is what you're looking for:

enclosureState
The current condition of the enclosure (which includes any devices connected to it.) Possible states: 0: Unknown 1: Ready 2: Failed 3: Online 4: Offline 6: Degraded
ready(1), failed(2), online(3), offline(4), degraded(6)

Source: circitor.fr

There are many alternatives you could use to monitor the above, including:

Here's a guide if you decide to go with the SNMP Library sensor:

And here's the set-up guide for lookups, which need to be used to translate the values (16) to the corresponding text and states:

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Jan 17, 2018 12:48:12 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Jan 17, 2018 12:48:57 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.