What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can PRTG's API help me to generate specific monthly reports ?

Votes:

Hi support,

Happy new year !

I have a customer who would like to know which sensors have been down last month, for how long and for what reason (sensor message).

Plus, I would like to sort them per probes.

Can PRTG's API help me to generate specific monthly reports ?

api monthly reports

Created on Jan 24, 2018 10:18:22 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear "John Doe",

the sensor message is not stored, past sensor messages cannot be reported. However status changes are logged and include the according sensor message, but this table only shows the time of the status change and does not aggregate the downtime.

This table can be generated by an API call similar to

/api/table.xml?id=2123&content=messages&columns=datetime,sensor,status,message&sortby=date&filter_drel=30days&count=*

Replace the id=2123 with the object ID of the sensor in question. The output includes all status changes, for example pausing as well. To limit this to up/down, please add &filter_status=608&filter_status=607&filter_status=620

Normal reports (no API usage required) do aggregate downtime and also list the status changes, however without the reasons, as it could make the report too dense.

Both reports and the aforementioned table are based on sensors. Getting a sorted output has to be done manually. You can add a full probe (meaning all its sensors) to a normal report. In order for the status change table, you can first extract the object IDs of all sensors for a particular object, like for a probe. This example is for the local probe which has the ID 1:

/api/table.xml?id=1&content=sensors&columns=objid,probegroupdevice=text,sensor=htmllong,status,message&count=*

Created on Jan 25, 2018 12:46:00 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.