What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Failover connection for remote probe LAN/internet

Votes:

Hello,

If I have a remote probe connecting over an MPLS or VPN to our PRTG server, is it possible to failover to an internet connection? We already have the PRTG server and many probes over the internet. On the probes I usually configure the host name of the server (i.e. myprtg.com) and it resolves to the Public IP, however in this new probe, I would like it to resolve to a private IP address and if the the MPLS or VPN fails to connect over Internet. How can we make this possible, is it done at the local DNS or does PRTG have a similar feature?

connection dns-resolution failover remote-probe

Created on Jan 24, 2018 3:51:53 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You can't add a second server URL for the remote probe, i.e. the fallback needs to be done on the Windows level. Run a script periodically that checks MPLS/VPN availability and acts accordingly:

1. PRTG Probe connects to my-awesome.prtg-server.com
  2. If the MPLS/VPN fails, modify the hosts file using Get-Carbon's Set-HostsEntry
  3. run ipconfig /flushdns
  4. Restart the probe service

Now, if the MPLS/VPN comes back online, you revert the changes via Reset-HostsFile and a probe restart. Note that you will have a gap within the monitoring data.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Jan 25, 2018 7:42:47 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.