What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP Sensors Template Restrictions

Votes:

I am attempting to create an auto-discovery template for servers. My base server has Ping, SNMP CPU, SNMP Memory, and SNMP Disk sensors. When I attempts to create a template based off this server, only the Ping and SNMP CPU are listed in the Exclude Sensors list. Does this mean the Memory and Disk sensors will not be included in the template? PRTG version is 17.4.36.

Looking at the manual, in the template exceptions list, I do not see these two specified as an exception. https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/create_device_template#exceptions

Not even listed on the pre-8.2 exception list. https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/5853-why-are-sensors-missing-in-my-auto-created-device-template#reply-15273

exception prtg17 sensor snmp

Created on Jan 24, 2018 8:39:06 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Dear Jason,

memory and disk sensors cannot be excluded from a template and are always included. This is admittedly a bit confusing. Please let me clarify:

• Some sensors cannot be included in templats
  • Others cannot be excluded, and also don't appear on that list.

The reason is that a memory or disk sensor does what we call a meta-scan where it is determined which sensors are created (for the disk sensor, one sensor for each disk.) This mechanism is helpful to deploy these types of sensors without having it matter how many disks the target system has, but also makes it difficult to exclude certain disks. So all disks found will get a sensor, meaning the entire sensor type cannot be excluded from the device template.

Created on Jan 25, 2018 2:39:37 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.