What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SQL and ORACLE monitoring configuration

Votes:

Hello.

I am a user of another monitoring product that by default already has a series of already defined items and limits, which we do not have to worry about identifying them. We just need to select what we want to monitor. As for example: (Locks, connected users, memories, size of bases and etc.)

In the case of PRTG, I read that the process is done using remote queries. Does this mean that I will have to tell the querys to stop collecting the information I need?

Thank you.

prtg snmp wmi

Created on Jan 27, 2018 10:06:53 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello sandro,
thank you for your KB-Post.

Well, if you're speaking of Microsoft SQL, there are two approaches available:

Monitoring the SQL Metrics/Statistics over WMI

This can be done with the multiple Microsoft SQL Server XXXX sensors. Here's the complete list:

These sensors will list several metrics, polled directly over WMI. This is interesting for checking up the server's usage/performance but you need to define limits/thresholds of your own for alerting. Since every environment is different, we can't hard-code alerts.

Monitoring the SQL via SQL Queries

This can be done with a specific sensor for any supported SQL Version:

This sensor however requires you to create a SQL script-file that the sensor will run after connecting to the host. This can do essentially anything that is possible with an SQL query, checking replications, tasks, uptime and so on. But since again each deployment greatly varies, we're not able to create something "standard" that will fit everyone.

However, this gives you immense flexibility. I encourage you to check with your DBA and explain what can be done, then ask about the relevant metrics, afterwards all you will need to do is to deploy his suggested queries as sensors.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Jan 30, 2018 11:57:30 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.