What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to monitor a Windows Service Lockup

Votes:

To shed some more light on what this question is. Basically I have sensors setup to monitor specific windows services. Which works very well, but a problem arose when the service that I was monitoring had a lockup/jam. Basically the service was stuck/frozen, but on the PRTG logs and the monitor itself it still showed the service was up and running and all fine. I am wondering if there is a way to monitor when this service goes on the fritz again.

This service monitors fine when the service is stopped or goes down, but that is not what happened in this case.

prtg windows-services wmi

Created on Jan 29, 2018 5:01:27 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Would it be possible to monitor the 'process' that the service is actually performing, like for example its output?

Created on Jan 30, 2018 8:49:54 AM

Votes:

Hi Roracon

Yes, I don't see any possibility to check if a Service is running, but not working anymore. As PRTGTools Family stated above, You need to check the output or what the process is doing and does not anymore.

The only other thing that came to my mind would be, if the process does need processor time but stays at 0% or a huge amount of it. you could check that with the "windows process sensor" in PRTG.

cheers Thomas

Created on Jan 30, 2018 3:41:40 PM

Votes:

This is what I was assuming would be the case, but wasn't sure if would be the case so I figured I would at least ask.

It would make sense to monitor the process. As with some of my services im not sure how easy it would be to do that, but with most of them it shouldnt be a problem. With the services I am monitoring I will see what services I am able to monitor the process it is doing.

Thank you all for your answers.

Created on Jan 30, 2018 4:30:42 PM

Votes:

That is correct, a service which is still running, but not reacting, cannot be directly detected with sensors provided with PRTG.

Created on Jan 30, 2018 8:15:48 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.