What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitor a Windows process

Votes:

Hello,

I would like to monitor the bandwidth (amount of data sent, max bandwidth used) used by a process. Is there a way to do that ?(PRTG is only installed on the localhost, and can't be installed on the router above)

Thank you for your help. Regards, Julian

bandwidth process prtg

Created on Jan 30, 2018 1:30:45 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi Julian,

If you connect the device -that runs the process- to a managed switch, you can monitor the amount of data sent and max bandwidth used on the specific port of that switch.

Created on Jan 31, 2018 11:24:42 AM

Votes:

Hi Julian,

Alternatively to the solution PTF provided, you can also use our native Windows Process sensor which monitors a particular process on your Windows target host.

Best regards,
Sven

Created on Jan 31, 2018 12:56:46 PM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Hi,

My issue is that I can only connect on the device. I don't have access to any other device. I need to monitor it locally.

Created on Jan 31, 2018 12:57:30 PM

Votes:

Hi Sven,

If I understand well, this needs at least Windows 2008 to be installed ? Nothing if we have Windows 7?

Created on Jan 31, 2018 1:03:36 PM

Votes:

Hi Julian,

this is correct. The sensor requires Server 2008 or higher on the probe device.

Alternatively, you can also try to use the sensors from PRTGToolsFamily

Please refer to:

Best regards,
Sven

Created on Jan 31, 2018 2:11:05 PM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.