What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I move or migrate my PRTG installation to a different system or server?

Votes:

How can I migrate PRTG to another server? It should be the same version on the other server because the plan is to upgrade the PRTG later on the newer server. The current version of our PRTG is 16.1.21. The reason why we want to upgrade our PRTG version after we have migrated the PRTG to the other server is because we want to test what sensors will be broken on the newest version of PRTG.

I thank you for your help!

migrate migrate-server migration move moving moving-prtg prtg testing update

Created on Feb 1, 2018 2:04:24 PM

Last change on Mar 10, 2022 1:19:10 PM by  Frank Hadasch [Paessler Support] (0) 1

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Kindly check our Official Migration Guide - your current installer should be located at

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\PRTG Installer Archive

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 2, 2018 7:50:34 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is it possible to migrate to another server with an other IP-adres? And do you really have to stop the core en probe services? Because our PRTG server can not be down while migrating. Do you have a solution for this?

Created on Feb 2, 2018 12:21:53 PM

Votes:

Sure you can migrate to another server. In order to have as little downtime as possible, install the new server completely, migrate the configuration and then copy over historic data (not today, start with yesterday). This way, your network will be monitored by two PRTG setups. Once the historic data is copied, restart the new server. The historic data will then be parsed, which may take a while. Once you're done, configure the DNS to point prtg.domain-of-unlimitedsky.com to the new IP and you should be all good. The old server can be decommissioned then.

Kind regards,

Created on Feb 3, 2018 10:22:06 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm working on the final task of backing up and restoring all prtg configurations to the new server. Then i want to ask, how to back up automatically in order to move all prtg configurations without stopping core and probe services on source server. can you explain the details?

Created on Jul 1, 2018 9:05:52 PM

Votes:

The configurations are automatically backed up in PRTGs data folder, under Configuration Auto-Backups. In case you want to make sure there's no gap in monitoring, you can simply stop the core service and copy all files over to the new server. Restart the core service when done. PRTG won't access the files during copy and after restarting, it will get the monitoring data from the probe.

Kind regards,

Created on Jul 2, 2018 6:58:35 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.