What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Dependency Question

Votes:

We use PRTG to monitor our printers. I have all my lab printers in one group with the following sensors configured for each device.

1. Ping 2. SNMP uptime 3. SNMP Printer 4 SNMP Hardware HP printers A. Jam/Status B. Paper Status

When the printer goes offline we get 5 separate emails for each sensor. We would only like to receive one email from the ping sensor. Is this possible and how would I do this?

Thanks

dependency notifications printer snmp

Created on Feb 1, 2018 10:26:40 PM

5 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

Please enter "Settings" tab of the Ping sensor. Break the inheritance of setting "Schedules, Dependencies, and Maintenance Window" and set "Master object for parent" as dependency type.

From then on the following will happen: When Ping goes down, all other sensors on the device will be paused, so you won't get notifications as well from the other sensors on it. As soon as Ping is up again, the other sensors will also be resumed.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Feb 2, 2018 11:21:06 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply that is exactly what I am looking for. Do I need to select the schedule as well? Can I leave it blank to use the root schedule? I'm assuming this has to be done for each device. Can it be build in to the template so when we add a new device the setting is already set?

Thanks

Created on Feb 2, 2018 2:39:10 PM

Votes:

When you break the inheritance here, you break it for all the settings in this section. So in case you have a schedule in place at root level, make sure you set it there as well as it is no longer being inherited when set/changed at root, otherwise leave it as it is.

When using PRTG's default templates, Ping is always set as "Master object for parent". When creating a template of your own, make sure Ping is configured that way on the device you base the template on so that it will be saved liked this into the template.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Feb 5, 2018 9:59:53 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So the question now is, when you forgot to set Ping as the "Master object for parent" on hundreds of devices, can you correct this using the API. Answer to follow ( it's the end of a long day ).

Created on Aug 20, 2019 10:33:34 PM

Votes:

Hello GwigstaNummerEin,

See also this thread, there is currently no smooth way to do this smoothly using API calls.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Aug 21, 2019 1:55:44 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.