What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

New syslog look pretty useless

Votes:

Recently I upgraded from 15.x to 18.1.36.3728 Looked fine....until I tried to view syslog messages as I was used to: devices->LocalProbe->ProbeDevice->Syslogreceiver , Messages tab

Now half of my screen is white, and the message column is only 12 character wide, and not resizable. This hardly gives a clue about message content For sure, previous more was shown, and hunting down a message worked way better

Also, previously filling filter was way easier: Double click on device name in hostname column auto-populated the filter. But I can live with that

Is resizable column on the to-do list ?

column messages resize syslog

Created on Feb 2, 2018 7:25:19 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Dear 16again,

the automatic filter is something we are not sure yet if we want to implement again. The table column sizing is currently not optimal, but we will offer better auto-scaling with the next PRTG release, 18.1.37.

We don't plan to offer resizable columns, because that would pose some issues in making the interface more complex, but we plan to polish the interface further with future versions, additional improvements are planned for 18.1.38 and beyond. Instead of implementing customization we rather put our effort into getting to a good default view.

Created on Feb 2, 2018 8:45:09 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I'm running 18.2.38.1661 and the messages are still too narrow for any piratical use. Any update on this?

Created on Apr 24, 2018 1:54:14 PM

Votes:

Dear J Good,

the current message tables are still not optimal, for example they don't use the full width available. We will work on that, but there is no ETA yet.

Created on Apr 24, 2018 4:29:36 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Can you please make this a priority? It should be a very easy fix.

I'm not so concerned about the column widths, as the way the rows now work in syslogs. They are a fixed single line with truncated data, until you mouse over them to show the full data. It is horrible and unworkable, you can't scroll through the list to see any data detail of any use without mousing over each item. It should be very easy to simply have an option to turn off that summary/hover feature if you don't want it. I'd rather the row height be variable as it was before and all content is shown. Ideally too we should be able to edit the columns that show and their width but that isn't really such a big issue.

I'm having to hold off upgrading PRTG as it just isn't usable for syslogs any more, where before it was fine.

Created on Sep 10, 2018 6:20:12 AM

Votes:

Dear Thomasrw,

since the interface looks different with different resolutions, please contact us at [email protected]. Please include screenshots with the mouseover issue (meaning that only mouseover shows the relevant information.) This would be quite helpful!

Created on Sep 10, 2018 12:42:01 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 10, 2018 12:42:37 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.