What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Pausing sensor doesn't release the license

Votes:

It seems that in one of the recent releases (within the past 2 years), that pausing a sensor no longer frees up the license for that sensor. In the past, we use to pause sensors of ports, or perhaps entire devices, to keep for historical purposes. This was beneficial to report if additional bandwidth was needed for a site or to our internet providers. To hopefully make this more understandable, the scenario is like this:

1) Sensor is setup for Port 1 on a 1Gb port and runs for two years. 2) Traffic is now exceeding SLA's so we upgrade the circuit to 10Gbps on Port 2. 3) We would Auto-Discover the switch and many of the ports that would come up would go straight to paused due to licensing. for the new Port 2 and begin monitoring (consuming the license of the paused sensor). 4) Seeing that we had no more licenses, we would pause the Port 1 sensor. We have no intentions to do further monitoring of that port, but would like to keep historical data points for 2 additional years for future reporting. 5) We would then find the newly created port 2 sensor and tell it to start monitoring on that port, which it would since the other sensor was paused..

It seems that somewhere along the way, a paused sensor now still counts against the licensing count. Is this by design or was it accidentally added in? Is there a way to mark the sensor as archived, releasing the license count, but yet holding the data?

Also as a side-note, I'd like to voice my distaste for the CAPTCHA you are using. Often it asks to identify an object that it doesn't have correctly cataloged. This means I have to keep clicking until I think like a computer. If an object carries across more than one frame, you fail as it has to meet a certain percentage. Why would I need to identify my self as human when I'm logged into a verified account? Why isn't my CAPTCHA info not-being held in session state?

license licensing sensor

Created on Feb 2, 2018 8:13:45 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Since we're using the Google Captcha, we don't have any influence on when it's displayed. Regarding the paused sensor states - only sensors that are paused indefinitely (and not via dependency, even if the device is paused that way). Otherwise, they're considered potentially active, hence pause each sensor manually indefinitely and the sensor count will be decreased.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 3, 2018 12:28:04 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Stephan,

Appreciate the response. I was able to finally figure it out once I removed all of my unlicensed sensors from the group of devices that were Auto-Discovered.

I couldn't find a way to pull the message back afterwards, before the posting.

As for the captcha, well, enough said. :-)

Created on Feb 5, 2018 6:35:18 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.