What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMPV3

Votes:

Hi Team,

I require assistance as as possible. I want to know what could be the cause of authentication error-35. I have given the configs for v3 on cisco switch. when tried to put in the credentials on prtg, I got the error.

Thanks, VK

prtg snmpv3 switch-cisco

Created on Feb 2, 2018 10:28:11 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Please make sure that you have the username, password and encryption key properly configured within PRTG. Please also make sure that all three objects are longer than 8 characters. Please also check that you use the correct mechanisms, MD5 or SHA and DES or AES.

Best regards.

Created on Feb 5, 2018 11:46:18 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Thank you for the prompt response. I replied ot the email. not sure why it is not posted here. So while trying to do the transistion from v2 to v3. I make sure the username pass and encryption is all correct on prtg. I still get the error. Should we put in the hex password?

Created on Feb 6, 2018 2:15:29 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Please check the following guide by Cisco and verify the explained steps:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/snmp/configuration/xe-3se/3850/snmp-xe-3se-3850-book/nm-snmp-snmpv3.html

Otherwise we are unable to help further as the issue comes from the device itself. PRTG sends the data with the credentials entered in the device settings. In your case the device throws the error "35" back and only Cisco will know what may is misconfigured.

Best regards.

Created on Feb 6, 2018 2:58:53 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.