What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Extracting a list of pause dependencies and limits

Votes:

Hellooo Paessler!

I have been given the bleak job of auditing all of our pause and parent dependencies across our hosts. Alongside this i would like to know sensors/channels with limits and without and ideally what these limits are... i know this is probably not possible but if any of you folks can work out a way of me achieving this i'd be hugely grateful.

Cheers Sam

api dependencies paused-by-dependencies

Created on Feb 9, 2018 9:00:10 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You can export the channel settings of the sensors you're interested in to a CSV via PrtgAPI, which you can then format nicely in Excel

Get-Sensor *cpu* | Get-Channel | Export-Csv C:\channelLimits.csv -NoType

This will give you all of the properties of the channel, including the sensor ID (but not the sensor name)

If you want to include the sensor name in the table, you can add it via Select-Object

$sensors = get-sensor *cpu*
$sensors|foreach {
    $s = $_
    $s|Get-Channel|select @{l="SensorName";e={$s.Name}},SensorId,Name,Id,*limit*
}|Export-Csv C:\channelLimits.csv -NoType

Which will yield something like this

SensorName SensorId Name        Id LimitsEnabled UpperErrorLimit UpperWarningLimit LowerErrorLimit LowerWarningLimit ErrorLimitMessage
---------- -------- ----        -- ------------- --------------- ----------------- --------------- ----------------- -----------------
CPU Load       2834 Total        0          True              90                                                                      
CPU Load       2834 Processor 1  1         False                                                                                      
CPU Load       2834 Processor 2  2         False                                                                                      
CPU Load       2800 Total        0          True              90                                                                      
CPU Load       2800 Processor 1  1         False                                                                                      
CPU Load       2800 Processor 2  2         False                                                                                      
CPU Load       2864 Total        0          True              90                                                                      

If you wish to generate a report on the dependencies of a sensor and are willing to put a little bit of work in, you can achieve this by analyzing the DependencyType and DependentObjectId properties of the SensorSettings object returned by Get-ObjectProperty

C:\> Get-Device dc-1 | Get-Sensor | Get-ObjectProperty | group DependencyType

Count Name                      Group
----- ----                      -----
   25 Parent                    {Remote Ping, Ping, Custom EXE/Script Sensor, HTTP (Up Sensor)...}
    1 MasterObject              {Ping}
    1 Object                    {Pagefile Usage (Dependency Sensor)}

For each object with an "Object" dependency, you could iterate over each element in this group and resolve the object (assuming it points to a sensor) via Get-Sensor -Id <id>

For more information on retrieving channel details from PRTG, see the wiki

Created on Feb 12, 2018 12:45:25 PM

Last change on Mar 12, 2018 12:35:31 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

7 Replies

Votes:

Hey Samuel,

Regarding the dependencies, please use the Dependency Graph under Devices >> Dependencies Regarding the limits of the sensors, please refer to PRTG Tools Family

Best regards,
Sven

Created on Feb 9, 2018 1:12:49 PM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Hi Sven,

Thanks for your help. Is there any way to export the dependencies page perhaps as a PDF so it looks like i did more collating work than i did ? :) also thanks for you link to PRTG tools, i am trying my damndest to avoid using them as their software seems very unpolished but i'll investigate

Created on Feb 12, 2018 8:38:51 AM

Votes:

Hey Samuel,

unfortunately, there is no way to export the dependencies graph into a PDF (except for "Print as PDF") in PRTG, I'm afraid.

Best regards,
Sven

Created on Feb 12, 2018 9:02:07 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Hi Sven, thanks for the swift reply. I figured out print to PDF just after posting and now get to mess around in photoshop today making them pretty :)

Thanks Sam

Created on Feb 12, 2018 9:10:45 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

You can export the channel settings of the sensors you're interested in to a CSV via PrtgAPI, which you can then format nicely in Excel

Get-Sensor *cpu* | Get-Channel | Export-Csv C:\channelLimits.csv -NoType

This will give you all of the properties of the channel, including the sensor ID (but not the sensor name)

If you want to include the sensor name in the table, you can add it via Select-Object

$sensors = get-sensor *cpu*
$sensors|foreach {
    $s = $_
    $s|Get-Channel|select @{l="SensorName";e={$s.Name}},SensorId,Name,Id,*limit*
}|Export-Csv C:\channelLimits.csv -NoType

Which will yield something like this

SensorName SensorId Name        Id LimitsEnabled UpperErrorLimit UpperWarningLimit LowerErrorLimit LowerWarningLimit ErrorLimitMessage
---------- -------- ----        -- ------------- --------------- ----------------- --------------- ----------------- -----------------
CPU Load       2834 Total        0          True              90                                                                      
CPU Load       2834 Processor 1  1         False                                                                                      
CPU Load       2834 Processor 2  2         False                                                                                      
CPU Load       2800 Total        0          True              90                                                                      
CPU Load       2800 Processor 1  1         False                                                                                      
CPU Load       2800 Processor 2  2         False                                                                                      
CPU Load       2864 Total        0          True              90                                                                      

If you wish to generate a report on the dependencies of a sensor and are willing to put a little bit of work in, you can achieve this by analyzing the DependencyType and DependentObjectId properties of the SensorSettings object returned by Get-ObjectProperty

C:\> Get-Device dc-1 | Get-Sensor | Get-ObjectProperty | group DependencyType

Count Name                      Group
----- ----                      -----
   25 Parent                    {Remote Ping, Ping, Custom EXE/Script Sensor, HTTP (Up Sensor)...}
    1 MasterObject              {Ping}
    1 Object                    {Pagefile Usage (Dependency Sensor)}

For each object with an "Object" dependency, you could iterate over each element in this group and resolve the object (assuming it points to a sensor) via Get-Sensor -Id <id>

For more information on retrieving channel details from PRTG, see the wiki

Created on Feb 12, 2018 12:45:25 PM

Last change on Mar 12, 2018 12:35:31 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hey lordmilko,

thanks for sharing this.

Best regards,
Sven

Created on Feb 12, 2018 12:57:13 PM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Very useful - thank you.

Created on Dec 11, 2018 5:08:08 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.