What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Setting Custom Alarms

Votes:

Is there a way to set a custom alarm? Our network as a lot of sensors and alarms going off constantly, and I don't want to be bogged down with emails all day.

More specifically, I'd like to set an alarm to appear whenever a device's SNMP traffic hit 500kbps. I see the options to get notifications via email or push notification, but not to appear on the alarms page.

alarm notifications snmp-traffic

Created on Feb 13, 2018 3:01:38 PM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello there,
thank you for your KB-Post.

Did you get a chance to check out this Manual page?

Essentially, alerts and notifications are not directly related in PRTG, they are separate "features". In PRTG you can have both, alerts and notifications. The "recommended" way to set this up is by having limits on any relevant channel from any relevant sensors and then working with "State" based triggers for the corresponding state, which can be done in the "Notifications" tab of any object (Group, Device, Sensor).

Some links on the above:

This approach is recommended because you will get consistent alerts (down/warning sensors) and notifications for these very same alerts. While you can also work with threshold triggers, (i.e. without limits in the channels) the downside is that you will get notifications for sensors and their status will still be "green" (ok) which may be undesireable.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Feb 14, 2018 8:43:09 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Jul 26, 2021 12:09:46 PM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Votes:

I figured it out. The links were very helpful.

Thank you, Luciano.

Created on Feb 15, 2018 7:01:35 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.