What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Offline activation of PRTG trial version

Votes:

We intend to use PRTG monitor in an environment with no Internet access ==> installation and execution offline After installing PRTG monitor trial version for test purpose on a Windows server 2016 running in a VM environment, I have to active the trial Licence. I select "French" during installation wizard. The VM has only a loopback interface defined 127.0.0.1

From the URL "http://127.0.0.1/activation.htm", I select "Manual (offline activation)". Then the web page display my licence details in STEP 2

ÉTAPE 2 : Vérifier votre licence PRTG

I copy/paste these information to the "https://www.paessler.com/activation" web page from another computer connected to the Internet. I get an activation.dat file.

Coming back to STEP 4 of the action process, i copy/paste the content of activation.dat file to activation data text block then press "Activate the licence"

The activation page is refresh but still with message Status of license: Not activated (Failed to establish secure connection Socket Error # 11001 Host not found.)

I also tried the option "Load from file" activation.dat instead of copy/paste of the content but it's also failing.

What to do next ? Is there any log file to troubleshoot the activattion process ?

Best Regards Bruno

activation offline prtg

Created on Feb 14, 2018 3:54:45 PM

Last change on Feb 15, 2018 10:58:53 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

6 Replies

Votes:

Hello Bruno,

You need to replace the existing "activation.dat" in PRTG's installation path with the one that was generated on https://www.paessler.com/activation

Stop PRTG's services before replacing the file, you can do this using PRTG Administration Tool.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Feb 15, 2018 11:02:04 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Erhard, I didn't find any activation.dat file in my local server running Windows Server 2016. I had a look in the following fodlers : - C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor (strange I used the 64 bits installer but PRTG has been installed in x86 folder - C:\ProgramData\Paessler

I also search in C: drive but no activatin.dat except the one I copied to download folder locally.

Regards Bruno

Created on Feb 15, 2018 1:48:39 PM

Votes:

Hi Bruno,

I'll contact you by email shortly.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Feb 16, 2018 10:22:55 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

I'm running in to the same issue under the same circumstances, can you please let me know if there was a resolution to this?

Cheers.

Created on Feb 21, 2018 11:49:00 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

If I recall correctly, in the end it worked after saving "activation.dat" generated on https://www.paessler.com/activation to PRTG's installation path.

If that doesn't work or in case you have further questions, please contact us by email about the issue ([email protected]) and send us a zip of folder "C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (System)" as attachment.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Feb 22, 2018 7:14:07 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there,

I confirm Erhard answer. After I copied the activation.dat to "C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\", the software is working fine. Regards. Bruno

Created on Feb 22, 2018 7:47:39 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.