What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Applying SSL certs within PRTG - Creating the Certificate Signing Request

Votes:

As much as I love PRTG, I am disappointed with the SSL interface. With most other internal sites that I manage, it's as simple as generating a CSR within the application, applying it to the site certificate manager and uploading the .cer file or the text within to the applications SSL management section.

PRTG is not so easy. To install a certificate, I have to bring a ready-made certificate to the PRTG certificate importer. My certificate manager, which is Microsoft Active Directory Certificate Services, requires a .csr file in order to generate the certificate. PRTG will not create a .csr and I do not see an option to just create a cert in MSADCS for a website out of whole cloth.

IIS services on the server is of no help generating a CSR either. PRTG uses a dedicated NIC, but no website is associated to that NIC within IIS.

So I'm stuck. Any help would be appreciated.

csr iis ssl-certificate

Created on Feb 16, 2018 3:23:23 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi there,
we appreciate your contact.

Please have a look at the following:

It includes instruction for generating the CSR using openssl and should work out fine for what you're using. Alternatively, if you have a wildcard for the whole internal domain, you could also import that.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Feb 19, 2018 8:15:58 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.