What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Cluster in a Windows Failover Cluster Setup

Votes:

Hi all

As far i understood, PRTG cluster has no possibility of connecting to PRTG webserver using a virtual IP (VIP). When a PRTG master node fails, all clients and smartphones need to manually connect to the slave node.

I would like to have ONE VIP where clients connecting to and then automatically failover to the slave node. I tried to achieve this using Microsoft Windows Failover Cluster, just configuring an "entry-point" VIP which seems to work on the master node.

During testing I have configured the webserver on the master node to listen to the VIP in addition to the primary IP address. The problem: When failing over the VIP to the slave node, I get a ERR_CONNECTION_REFUSED from slave node when connecting to the VIP. Because the PRTG configuration is fetched from PRTG master node, the webserver on the slave node doesn't listen to the VIP anymore (because it's not present on the master node at this time).

Is there a "hack" to force PRTG webserver to always listen to the VIP although the IP address is not present?

Thanks

martin

cluster failovercluster high-availability

Created on Feb 26, 2018 1:26:39 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Martin,

I'm afraid it's not. The web interface of both nodes can of course be accessed, the apps just connect to the master node. Notifications will nevertheless be sent from the failover to all mobile devices if the master server fails. Why exactly do you need to connect to the failover via the app?

Best regards, Felix

Created on Feb 28, 2018 9:05:25 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks Felix

Well, it was just an idea to make PRTG higly available using only one connection point for web and apps. But when notifications are sent out anyway, it's also fine.

Best regards

Martin

Created on Feb 28, 2018 9:29:27 PM

Votes:

Hi,

I do this using a Windows NLB.

Thank you.

Created on May 19, 2020 11:52:05 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.