What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Could not create the sensor Active Directory Replication Errors on device

Votes:

Hi, I'm trying to add the Active Directory Replication Errors sensor on our DCs in PRTG. When I add the sensor, though, I get this error: "Could not create the sensor Active Directory Replication Errors on device ..."

The probe is part of the same domain as the DCs, the credentials are set in the root but I also tried to set them in the device itself (I'm using a domain admin), .NET is installed (v4.6) and the firewall on the DC is off. I'm getting the same error on all DCs we have (4 in total). Both the probe and the device are Windows 2016.

The probe is part of a cluster, we're running version 18.1.37.12158+

What can it be?

Thank you, Marco

active-directory prtg

Created on Feb 26, 2018 3:46:49 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello Marco,

Please try to manually execute the sensor in an administrative CMD on the host where the probe is installed. Start the .exe file with these parameters:

\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System\ADSReplFailuresXML.exe -c="<host>" -l -u="<domain>\<user>" -p="<pw>"

Use the exact same user which is also used in PRTG, which results do you receive?

Best regards, Felix

Created on Feb 27, 2018 1:01:10 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you, the error was due to the fact that the password contains a ", which is not escaped apparently when launching the executable. I tried another user, with no " in the password, and it worked perfectly.

Marco

Created on Feb 27, 2018 1:10:45 PM

Votes:

Hi Marco,

Interesting, thanks for sharing your findings. I'll raise an internal development case to see if we can escape the comma properly.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Feb 27, 2018 2:20:45 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Marco,

The sensor uses a WMI query to pass the credentials in double quotes. It appears to be not possible to escape characters inside this query, see here.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Mar 14, 2018 1:23:33 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.