What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Frequent SNMP sensor timeout

Votes:

Hi

I've a PRTG deployment with approximatelly 800+ sensors. Since about 2 months I'm experiencing timeouts with the snmp sensors of any device, it's beacoming very anoying because sometimes those sensors go down and inmediately after go up again. Here are a few log examples:

01/03/2018 16:42:50
hostname1
SNMP System Uptime
Uptime
Up
55 d 
01/03/2018 16:42:50
hostname1
SNMP System Uptime
Uptime
Warning
No response (check: firewalls, routing, snmp settings of device, IPs, SNMP version, community, passwords etc) (SNMP error # -2003)

01/03/2018 16:37:36
hostname2
SNMP CPU Load
CPU Load
Up
7 %
01/03/2018 16:37:36
hostname2
SNMP CPU Load
CPU Load
Warning
No response (check: firewalls, routing, snmp settings of device, IPs, SNMP version, community, passwords etc) (SNMP error # -2003)

As you can see here there is a Warning event for a non responsive snmp check, but inmediately after and with the same time signature there is a record with the snmp response.

This is just an example, I'm having hundreds of those a day.

I've increased the probe's host memory and cpu to discard a performance bottleneck. Any suggestions on were could be the problem or what can I check?.

Thanks,

Nicolas.

performance prtg snmp-sensor

Created on Mar 1, 2018 7:55:37 PM

Last change on Mar 9, 2018 3:34:57 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Nicolas,

Are you using SNMPv3 by any chance? Did you already try to increase the SNMP delay within the devices to see if it's a load issue?

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Mar 2, 2018 11:28:13 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Stephan

I'm not using SNMPv3. I'll try your suggestion to increase the SNMP delay and will let you know the result. Thanks,

Nicolas.

Created on Mar 2, 2018 12:41:57 PM

Votes:

Hi Stephan

During this week I tried your suggestion to increase the SNMP delay but that didn't seam to resolve this problem. Now I've installed a new probe on another VM and moved most of the devices to it, as of this change the SNMP timeout error is gone. Could there be some problem hosting a probe on the same prtg server?. Thanks,

Nicolas.

Created on Mar 9, 2018 2:53:46 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.