What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG Integration with Plixer (Scrutinizer)

Votes:

This is a pretty straight forward question:

How will PRTG integration with Plixer (Scrutinizer) affect the way I monitor a network? Can the programs be configured in such a way that they give very different information about the same devices or networks?

What would I monitor with PRTG and what would I monitor with Plixer (Scrutinizer)? For what purposes would I use both programs (uptime monitoring, behaviour of traffic)?

integration plixer prtg

Created on Mar 7, 2018 10:53:46 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Dear Freek,

I cannot comment on non-Paessler programs. We develop PRTG as a vendor-agnostic, agent-less network monitoring tool which you can use to monitor the uptime of devices and traffic bandwidth in your network. For many devices we offer system-health sensors. A slew of other sensors allows more detailed monitoring for example of remaining harddisk capacity an so on. Also traffic-monitoring based on Netflow is possible.

However, PRTG does not provide flow storage for later searches, instead flows are processed as they are coming in to be evaluated by standard filters or custom filters in order to determine the according traffic volume which is stored as historic data for later reports, and toplists.

For a more detailed look into flows, or flow storage, other tools can be used.

Created on Mar 8, 2018 12:55:28 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

As Arne mentioned, PRTG does a great job of monitoring the uptime of devices and traffic bandwidth on your network. Scrutinizer fills the gap by providing detailed conversation data from your network and the cloud. For example, PRTG alerts you that the a link is becoming saturated. You then can flip into Scrutinizer and see why that link is saturated. You can see every conversation associated to that incident. Scrutinizer also saves this information historically so you can go back and investigate when required.

So to answer your question, you would use Scrutinizer to monitor network traffic, security threats, and other traffic abnormalities. PRTG is good for monitoring the state of the network, it's devices, and numerous services.

Created on Jul 18, 2019 11:49:22 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.