What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Raspberry Pi / Python / Cloud PRTG

Votes:

Hi,

I'm lost! Did a lot of research and found many articles (mini probe, http/get, ssh, etc. idk) but I'm missing the bigger picture. I simply don't get it. Need someone to show me the direction.

What I want: I want to send Raspberry Pi collected data to a cloud hosted PRTG instance. Dietpi, a stripped down optimized debian is running on the Pi.

First I wanna start 'small', right now I've got a DHT22 sensor connected to my RPi where I can measure temperature and humidity ("Temp=24.0* Humidity=19.8%"). With the power of python ;-) I'd like to transmit those information to prtg.

'Haiku' it to a simple picture: Raspberry Pi -> sensor info -> Python <-> Cloud PRTG

How to accomplish? What can I do? What possibilities are there?

BR Michael

cloud linux raspberry-pi

Created on Mar 8, 2018 12:31:00 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi Michael,

Sorry, connecting such mini probes as the python probe is not supported with the cloud version, see also Differences between PRTG on premises and PRTG Hosted Monitor.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Mar 8, 2018 1:54:19 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Last change on Feb 10, 2021 2:43:31 PM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Votes:

Thank you very much.

Created on Mar 15, 2018 12:31:37 PM

Votes:

...does this also mean that snmp only works on premise? Got a few Ubuntu servers I'd like to add some sensors..

Created on Mar 15, 2018 12:55:37 PM

Votes:

Hi Michael,

The Windows based probe is fully able to run SNMP sensors, that is no problem, but in the end you need a host running Windows to install it.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Mar 19, 2018 8:25:49 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.