What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

File Sensor PRTG Version 18.1.38.11937

Votes:

Hello, after the installation from PRTG Version 18.1.38.11937, we have increased errors on the file sensors. Thats the error: "Logon failure: Multiple connections to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again(1219) (code: PE029)" However, the behavior does not exist on all sensors.

Best regards Matthias

file-sensor logon-failure version-18-1-38-11937

Created on Mar 12, 2018 7:23:50 AM

11 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Try restarting PRTG (or the remote probe in case the sensor is on a remote probe) to see if that clears the error. If not, check with compmgmt.msc on the target host for open sessions and clear them manually to see if that helps.

Further troubleshooting for monitoring shares also here:
https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/513-what-can-i-do-if-prtg-doesn-t-succeed-with-monitoring-a-share-pe029-pe032

Best regards.

Created on Mar 13, 2018 8:59:42 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, it is very strange. The restart from the PRTG Probe Server i do first. But when i restart the probe server, after the File Sensor check is back in the error stat. Now i look in the Computer-management i see a session with the prtg user (the file access or winreg). When i delete the the session, the check is work normal. I also tried the probe service as a prtg user to run, but no change. Especially that is before i do the update everything worked normally.

Best regards Matthias

Created on Mar 13, 2018 11:42:12 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Please check if correct credentials are entered in the Parent Device Settings under "Windows Credentials". These credentials are used to connect to the SMB-Share.

Best regards

Created on Mar 13, 2018 8:35:20 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Dariusz, i have check the credentials and have set this to the parent device (until now, the credentials were inherited). But nothing have change. Best regards

Created on Mar 14, 2018 10:11:53 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Have you checked that the credentials are correct in the device settings? Furthermore, are the credentials valid for the SMB-Connection?

Best regards

Created on Mar 14, 2018 1:46:43 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, yes i do an i set the credential new. But as I wrote,

• i reboot the probe server
  • after the reboot, single check with the file sensor, give back the above error
  • i connect to the monitored server with the error and go to the compmgmt.msc. I see the prtg user how has connected.
  • Now i delete the connection manuel.
  • the next check are ok
    so are the credentials ok. It looks like he has a problem with the existing connection after rebooting the probe server. Best regards

Created on Mar 14, 2018 2:40:50 PM

Last change on Mar 15, 2018 1:14:48 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi there,

So when you manually delete the connection, the sensor starts to work properly again? If so, then this is a good observation which should help our developers.

Best regards.

Created on Mar 15, 2018 1:15:27 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, yes that's true. When i delete the connection manuel, the sensor work again normal. Best regards

Created on Mar 15, 2018 4:02:13 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

We will release a programmatic fix for this issue with PRTG 18.x.40. This will fix the issue you have experiences above.

Best regards.

Created on Mar 16, 2018 1:29:45 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Paessler

I'm also seeing this same issues since I upgraded from v17 to 18.2. Previously under version 17 my sensors worked perfectly, but since upgrading I am seeing the same issue as reported above.

Do you know when the fix for this will be release?

Thanks Paul

Created on Apr 24, 2018 10:11:01 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

As mentioned, the fix will be released with version 18.x.40. Currently the latest stable is 18.x.39.

Best regards.

Created on Apr 24, 2018 10:23:47 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.