What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to monitore a script

Votes:

Hello every one,

I'm testing prtg and today i try to know if one of my script launch every hours correctly launch. This script is launch every hour thanks to task scheduler, and the script is a .bat

The script is take files from a distant ftp and paste them into my folder.

Is it possible to and see in prtg if my script is correctly execute ??

thank you very much

prtg script windows-server-2003

Created on Mar 13, 2018 2:30:29 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

You can monitor the task itself with "ScheduledTask2XML" from here. You need an EXE/Script Advanced Sensor for this.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Mar 14, 2018 1:35:40 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I would learn towards altering the script.

For a example adding code to create a "heartbeat" file one the script complete and checks its done what it has meant to do. Get PRTG to check the age of this file, its its more than 2 hours old, it means it fail.

To expand on this (this is what i use), a code snippet that writes the absolute date and the status in CSV format. I then use and XML EXE Sensor that runs a script that turns this CSV into a XML with a relative date (ie, the age).

The XML EXE censor that reads this and can alarm on any of the channels.

Its a bit to create at first, but it can easily be added to dozens of scripts.

Let me know if it sounds useful and you want me to expand, I can post some code, but would have to clean it up first :)

Created on Mar 28, 2018 4:46:51 AM

Votes:

Thanks for chipping in, AndrewG. Please feel free to share your code or "template" you're suggesting. You could also contribute it to PRTG Script World if you like.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Mar 28, 2018 6:45:06 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.