What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Temperature Gauge minimum value

Votes:

Hi!

I am using PRTG version 18.1.38.11934+, with around 30 sensors. We have 3 sensors reading temperature in Server room.

These sensors are installed inside, in the office, the temperature is always above zero. Even more, the temperature in server room is always between 15 C and 30-35 C (which means it's critical)

Unfortunately the gauge displays value between 0 C and maximum value ever reached.

The problem is that the minimum value for the gauge is 0 (zero). Which was never reached and will never be. And the entire area of the gauge covers around 30 degrees Celcius, half of which is never used by the pointer - as all fluctuations of the temperature are between 15 and 30 C.

As a result, the pointer of the gauge moves around very small sector, and it is not very representative.

My question: Is it possible for such a gauge to set the minimum value to 15 Celcius, for example, and let the maximum value come from historical data (or whatever)?

If so, it will result in displaying sector with ONLY POSSIBLE values which will give more visual feedback to the monitoring user.

I have read about Spike filter parameter, but it works only for graphs, not for gauges apparently. The channel values do not seem to affect the minimum value too.

Is there any way to solve that?

Thanks in advance, Vlad

gauge minimum-value temperature

Created on Mar 20, 2018 4:41:09 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for the KB-Post. Did you already set according limits in channel settings of this sensor? This would also color the gauge accordingly, showing which temperature values are okay, and which are not.

best regards.

Created on Mar 22, 2018 11:24:25 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

thanks for the reply

Yes, sure I did I set the limits for this gauge, and I have following visual:

0 *C-10 *C: red sector (the temp readings will never get those values) 10-15: yellow sector (the temp readings will never get those values) 15-24: green sector 24-28: yellow sector 28-32: red sector

So, basically it lead to the situation that possible readings of gauge can occupy only ( 32-15) / 32 = 53% of the gauge's total sector.

Exactly half of this gauge will never be used, however it occupies the scale.

Well, the temperature can surely go below 10-15 *C above zero, but only in case of nuclear winter, in case of which we are unlikely to care about the server room temperature.

If I only could attach the screenshot of this colorful gauge, it would have been more descriptive. But I believe you see the situation anyway.

Thanks in advance for your hint or help.

Created on Mar 22, 2018 11:58:23 AM

Votes:

The only other option would be using lookups with ranges. That would be a different visualization though.

Created on Mar 23, 2018 8:17:02 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.