What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Report on Top 10 Hosts/Top 10 Protocols

Votes:

I am trying to run a report for top 10 hosts/top 10 protocols on an interface using Netflow but the reports don't seem to show that data. Also is it possible when generating these reports to instead of group the unknown ports/protocols into the "Various" category we could show the actual port or protocol?

I read an answer on here from 2010 but I didn't know if it was still accurate or not. But is basically stated that reports on toplists is not possible and currently there is no time line to get these implemented.

Thanks,

help netflow prtg reports toplist

Created on Mar 22, 2018 6:28:57 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Thank you for using our PRTG Network Monitor and contacting Paessler TechSupport.

Unfortunately, Toplists cannot be reported or exported as of yet. We do have this on our wish list. But if you have Flow or Sniffer Sensors filtering for certain IPs/Hosts, the normal sensor results can be reported and would also show bandwidth-amounts for certain IPs/hosts. The filtering does only affect data that was recorded after the filter was put in place.

I did just add your "vote" to the corresponding request to our "wishlist". Please have a look at the following blog post by our CEO, explaining "How We Rate Your Feature Requests": https://www.paessler.com/blog/2012/07/03/other/how-we-rate-your-feature-requests-company-culture-2

We are planning to improve our Toplists which would include better report options. However please don't expect this improvement too soon, there are many items on our "wishlist".

For specific on demand debugging, you could enable and check the "Stream Log" of the Sensor (set it to save the stream log for all traffic). Please be aware though, the Log-Stream-Files are limited to 65 MB in size, then they overwrite themselves in a cycled manner. This can't be changed, and is set to prevent huge disk space usages.

However, the Stream Logging will not show traffic that already occurred (before it's enabled). For this you could only try to export the currently viewed Toplist with the "XML-Button" (at the bottom of the table of the Toplist) into an XML-File.

Created on Mar 23, 2018 12:39:24 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.