What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Need to monitor uptime in HH:MM:SS for eqipment maintenance

Votes:

Hi!

I just need to monitor a group of equipment trailers by basic PING to measure the total UP TIME of the systems. The generator of these systems require periodic maintenance. The equipment (generator) is started and stopped mostly every day. If the generator is running, the electronics will be active and will respond to pings. We wish to use the PING sensor as an easy way to tell how long the generator has been in use.

Is there a way to configure the PING sensor that will report how long it has been "UP" in HH:MM:SS. A percentage will not do us any good. This would be a total of all UP TIME without including the DOWN time.

Thanks!

John

maintenance notifications total-up-time

Created on Mar 24, 2018 1:14:35 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello inthefrey,

Thank you very much for your contact.

Did you already check reports in PRTG? I just re-created a similar scenario in my test environment and would recommend the following settings:

• Create a new PRTG report
  • Select only the desired ping sensor via Drag-and-Drop from the Select Sensors Manually tab
  • Switch to the Settings tab and select the Top 100 Uptime/Downtime (based on uptime hours) template
  • Switch to the Run Now tab, define a start and end date for the report and execute it
    Indeed, the report will always contain the uptime and downtime, however the uptime is displayed in days, hours, minutes and second, for example "7d22h23m34s".

Best regards,
    Sebastian

Created on Mar 28, 2018 7:43:14 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 13, 2021 11:45:15 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.