What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Could not create the sensor wmi microsoft sql server

Votes:

I added a new device in PRTG, chose Auto-Discovery and all of the sensors work fine now. When I try to add MS SQL Server 2016 sensor, I receive this error: Could not create the sensor wmi microsoft sql server on device "MY SERVER NAME". I checked everything including changing the server name to FQDN or IP Address. I even tried this with other SQL Servers but keep getting the same error. I use PRTG version 18.1.38.11958.

prtg sensor sql

Created on Mar 28, 2018 5:10:20 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Are your other WMI sensors work? Maybe you didn't install WMI-service or didn't open it in firewall on Windows Server? Also I would check authentication in SQL.

Created on Mar 30, 2018 4:35:35 AM

Votes:

Hi!,

in addition to that, please also note that this sensor needs valid credentials for Windows systems defined in the parent device or group settings, and of course, a Microsoft SQL database running on the machine.

Kind regards
Andreas Günther, Technical Support

Created on Mar 30, 2018 6:10:48 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Other WMI sensors like CPU, disk, and memory ones are working fine. I only have the problem when trying to install SQL Server sensor. All ports between SQL Server and PRTG is open. Furthermore, I have SQL Server Management Studio installed on the PRTG server and I can successfully connect to my SQL Server there. So, it can't be the firewall issue. I use valid Windows credentials. The Windows account is an AD account which is a local admin on my SQL Server. I wouldn't be able to see other sensors if I wasn't using a valid Windows account. Right? Of course, a SQL database is running on the server that I am trying to monitor.

Created on Mar 30, 2018 4:00:05 PM

Votes:

Hi!

At this point I'd like to continue with your inquiry in a dedicated Support Ticket.

Please forward us a Support Bundle including the system log files for analysis. This can be done via the "Contact Support" ribbon in the lower right corner of the web interface. Please enter this ticket's case number (PAE1017909) when submitting the Bundle.

Thank you!

Kind regards
Andreas Günther, Technical Support

Created on Apr 3, 2018 9:05:24 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.