What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Can I set up a notification for a group of devices?

Votes:

I am not looking for inherited notifications. What I would like is a notification on a group that would sense when any of the devices/sensors in it are down and send an alert. It would also include a count telling us how many of the devices/sensors are down.

groups notifications prtg

Created on Apr 4, 2018 5:29:00 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hi Noah,

I am afraid it is not possible to create such a Notification on group level.

However with inherited notifications you are able to define a Notification which will alert you if any sensor is in down state.

Kind regards
Andreas Günther, Technical Support

Created on Apr 6, 2018 10:06:06 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Votes:

This would be a really great feature. We run almost 200 subdomains on our web server and we want to monitor each of them, but I don't want to get 200 down messages if the server as a whole goes down. Do you have any suggestions for a setup like this?

Created on Apr 6, 2018 7:54:37 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

This would be possible by setting a dependency on the group linked to the server. So when the server is down, then the dependency will pause the entire linked group with the subdomains:
https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/dependencies

Best regards.

Created on Apr 9, 2018 8:26:09 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

is this a feature you guys would be willing to work on if we had enough support on it ? i for one would love to be able to provide direct notifications to our vendor supported products and managed service providers as currently they are dependant on us letting them know when we have issues.

it would be much better if the alerts would go to them if anything in a specific group failed.

thanks.

Created on Sep 24, 2018 9:48:59 AM

Votes:

Hi Graham,

Of what feature do you exactly talk? As mentioned you can set dependencies on a group if a certain sensor is down, this will prevent multiple down sensors where you know that only one specific sensor is the cause. This also keeps the notifications low. So could you further elaborate what feature you exactly wish for? :)

Best regards.

Created on Sep 24, 2018 11:14:14 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Graham, I've had success using the SensorCountXML.exe custom sensor that is mentioned here. While I think group notifications would be a great feature for PRTG to add, this does enough for me for now.

https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/67602-how-can-i-monitor-the-number-of-sensors-in-a-specific-group

If you happen to be using PRTG Hosted Monitor, you should make sure to use the -ph command line option that the PRTG Tools Family added this summer.

Created on Sep 24, 2018 8:06:21 PM

Last change on Feb 10, 2021 2:28:22 PM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.