What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Run iisreset when HTTP sensor shows down

Votes:

I have a web server that goes down occasionally. I'd like to have PRTG do an iisreset when this happens to bring it back. I'm trying to setup a notification for this. I've done the following:

1) Created a batch file that will be called by the notification. The batch file only has one line: c:\Progra2\PRTGNE1\Custom1\EXE\psexec
wsus02 -u <domain\administrator> -p <password> -i 0 c:\Windows\System32\iisreset.exe

This works when ran manually

2) I then created a notification in PRTG. Under Execute Program, I have the following:

- Program File iisrestart.bat (above batch file) - Domain - Our domain - Username - Administrator - Password - Admin pw - Timeout 60

When I run a test notification, I look under Logs-System Events-Notifications and I get:

4/10/2018 10:40:43 AM None Group Root Notification Info Error sending "EXE": A required privilege is not held by the client. (0x522)

I have the PRTG Core and Probe services both set to run as my domain admin.

I haven't had much luck googling this, so I thought I'd ask here and see if anyone has any ideas I might be missing!

Thanks in advance! Mike

exe iisreset notification

Created on Apr 10, 2018 3:45:06 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi Mike,

Reading through your requirements, wouldn't it be easier to write a PowerShell script to restart the service on the target machine using Invoke Command? Some examples are listed here.

Does that work for you?

Best regards, Felix

Created on Apr 11, 2018 11:46:01 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Felix,

Thanks for the response! That's what I ended up doing, I was just hoping to figure it out from PRTG for other similar things we might want to trigger from PRTG.

I noticed this was a topic back in 2010, I was hoping there was an answer by now!

Mike

Created on Apr 11, 2018 3:23:55 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.