What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Ping dependency

Votes:

Hi!

I have several servers with more than 3 sensors. All of them have the ping sensor in common.

When some server restarts because updates, all the sensors run down and up, triggering lots of mails. I'd like to make a ping dependency for all the sensors in each server. I supose this will pause all the sensors if ping is down, triggering only one mail. That's I want to do but I do not know how to. Does anyone help me please?

dependency ping prtg

Created on Apr 12, 2018 7:54:23 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Setting dependencies via the Multi-Edit is not possible to avoid the creation of dependency loops. The best way is to go into the sensor settings of the Ping sensor and configure the sensor to be the "Master for parent object" under the dependency option. This will pause the complete device if the Ping fails.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Apr 12, 2018 9:56:45 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Felix,

This solution worked fine for me! Thank you so much.

Kind regards.

Created on Apr 13, 2018 7:21:08 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.