What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SSL sensor problem

Votes:

Hi,

I am having a problem with the SSL sensor. I keep getting

"Failed to establish secure connection [Step 0] Socket Error # 10054 Connection reset by peer. [Step 1] Socket Error # 10054 Connection reset by peer. [Step 2] Socket Error # 10054 Connection reset by peer. [Step 3] Socket Error # 10054 Connection reset by peer. [Step 4] Socket Error # 10054 Connection reset by peer. [Step 5] Socket Error # 10054 Connection reset by peer."

It doesnt matter what i do. I have other SSL sensors to other webservers so the problem seems to be the webserver? but why? shouldnt the sensor work on all webservers? The websrv i Microsoft but i am not responsible for the IIS config. I know that they have just replaced the ssl cert and tight'n the security on the server, SSL V3 disabled etc. But why should that prevent me from checking ssl expiry?

Regards Mattias

prtg sensor ssl

Created on Apr 17, 2018 10:23:49 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

Issue was resolved in a ticket. The user basically entered a false SNI/Virtual Host in the Sensor Settings. What he entered:

https://domain.tld./

What needs to be entered as it is not an address:

domain.tld

Best regards

Created on Apr 19, 2018 1:30:30 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

4 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Please check that the domain name that is monitored is the same as in the device settings. Please note that the sensor simply connects against the address in the device settings. For example to monitor Google:
Device Settings Address: google.com
Sensor Settings Address: google.com

When one of the two is different, then the query will not work properly.

Best regards.

Created on Apr 17, 2018 10:58:20 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I just tried creating a new device with the same adress as the website i am trying to check with the ssl sensor. Same problem.

Created on Apr 17, 2018 11:30:04 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

Please forward us screenshots of the sensor settings, device settings and the sensor overview (where the channels are displayed) to [email protected] by referring to this thread. From there we can support this further.

Best regards.

Created on Apr 17, 2018 6:53:22 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi there,

Issue was resolved in a ticket. The user basically entered a false SNI/Virtual Host in the Sensor Settings. What he entered:

https://domain.tld./

What needs to be entered as it is not an address:

domain.tld

Best regards

Created on Apr 19, 2018 1:30:30 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.