What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Why does the Amazon Cloudwatch EC2 sensor have a minimum interval of 15 minutes?

Votes:

I believe that the basic Cloudwatch monitoring is every 5 minutes. Why can't we set the sensor interval to match that to get the most accurate data?

aws cloudwatch ec2 interval prtg

Created on Apr 25, 2018 9:59:26 PM

2 Replies

Votes:

Hi Noah,

Actually this is because Amazon charges a small amount of money for each request. Depending on the service you're monitoring with the sensor, PRTG will send about 10 to 30 requests per scanning interval to Amazon.

This is why we decided to limit the scanning intervall of this sensor to 15 Minutes, in order to protect our users from high costs.

More information about this topic can be found here:
Costs for Running CloudWatch Sensors

Kind regards
Andreas Günther, Technical Support

Created on Apr 26, 2018 2:23:56 PM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Ah, thank you. I will definitely be monitoring my usage then.

Created on Apr 26, 2018 4:54:51 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.