New Question

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use.
Easy to manage.

200.000 administrators have chosen PRTG to monitor their network. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free PRTG
Download >>

What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general. You are invited to get involved by asking and answering questions!

Learn more

Top Tags

View all Tags

How Can I Propose New Features or Sensors for PRTG?

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

I have an awesome new feature idea (either functional or sensor-wise) for PRTG. What is the best way to request its implementation and make sure that it is not forgotten?

feature-request important improvement-request prtg prtg-kbtracker sensor-request

Created on Apr 30, 2018 7:55:52 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on May 22, 2019 8:42:12 AM by  Maike Behnsen [Paessler Support]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Your Vote:

Up

Down

Our Approach to Handling Feature Requests

In the past, we used a bang-for-the-buck method to handle feature requests and similar feedback by our customers, see How does Paessler Handle User Feedback and Feature Requests?. However, as customer requests are ever increasing and we still want to ensure that no request is lost, we thought of a new method.

Feature Requests via the Paessler Knowledge Base

We decided to use our Paessler Knowledge Base as an interface for us, Paessler Technical Support and Development, and you, the PRTG users. This has several advantages:

• Supplying a feature request is easy.
  • The status of the feature request is transparent.
  • The list of feature requests can be maintained in a reliable manner.

Click here to see a list of current requested features including their current votes.

If you would like to submit a feature request, take the following steps.

How Can I Submit a Feature Request?

1. Search the current List of Feature Requests and check if a request for the feature you would like to have is already there. If yes, simply vote for it.
  2. If you are not able not find the feature, ask a new question.
  3. Enter a descriptive title for your request.
  4. To optimally describe your feature or idea for improvement, copy the following template, paste it, and fill it out to make sure it contains all necessary information. Otherwise, we and other PRTG users will have a hard time evaluating your request.
----
Want this feature implemented, too? Please **upvote** by clicking **Thumbs up**! 

(Posts as a reply won't be published in this feature request thread. [[https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/79245|Read Me!]])

----
==== User Story
As a PRTG User, I want ...

==== Details of User Story
Enter the details of your request here. Make sure it's as detailed as possible, depending on the complexity.

==== Acceptance criteria
* Criterion #1
* Criterion #2
This basically gives us a set of cornerstones that need to be there in order for the feature to be implemented.

==== Status
Open

Make sure you tag your question with prtg-kbtracker AND one of the following tags:

TagUse the tag if...
add-feature... you would like to have a new feature within PRTG.
add-sensor... you would like to have a new sensor, for example, for a new appliance.
improve-prtg... you would like PRTG to be improved regarding a certain aspect, for example, regarding the usability of the PRTG web interface.

Your request is now in the review process. The List of Feature Requests will then be updated and will include your request. And other PRTG users will be able to vote for it.

How Do I Vote for a Feature?

If you want to have a feature request evaluated by us, vote for it by clicking the Thumbs Up button of the feature request article.

Important: Posts with +1 or I want that, too as a reply do not count and will not be published.

FAQs

How Can I Keep Track of the Status of My Request?

The original posts will automatically be updated with corresponding status messages that will be as descriptive as possible.

Are Requests with Many Votes Always Implemented?

Such requests will definitely be reviewed. Eventually, we will have to see if we can implement requests in a feasible manner, and how much (wo)man power would be required for the implementation. If the feature is easy to implement and test, and has a high score, it will be implemented more likely. If the request includes an entirely new sensor, it may take longer for us to get this done. We will ultimately deny requests that are simply not feasible, however, we will give a detailed explanation in this case (that is, as detailed as possible).

Is there a PRTG Roadmap?

Not every good idea will end up on our roadmap and our plans may also change while in progress. For example, because it turns out that a feature will work differently than we initially expected. We will only know this when we have an innovation that has been run in our labs.

But, as soon as we have something new, we would love to hand it out to you as soon as possible. That's why early releases of PRTG are available to all of our customers.

Why Are There no Replies in the Feature Request Threads?

We will only publish status updates for the feature. User feedback is not published in order to keep the noise down and avoid dilution of the request.

Created on Apr 30, 2018 8:46:48 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 15, 2019 10:59:06 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Please log in or register to enter your reply.

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.