What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I monitor Palo Alto firewalls with PRTG?

Votes:

I use Palo Alto devices in our IT infrastructure and would like to monitor them in an easy way without adding each single sensor manually.

How can I monitor my Palo Alto firewalls with PRTG?

firewall monitoring pa-200 pa-220 pa-3020 pa-5050-and-vm-100-200 paetemplate palo-alto-networks prtg template

Created on May 3, 2018 12:42:12 PM by  Noah Loskarn [Paessler Support] (1) 2

Last change on Jul 19, 2022 6:11:03 AM by  Luis Quesada (Paessler Technical Support)

9 Replies

Votes:

This article applies to PRTG Network Monitor 18.1.37 or later

Monitoring Palo Alto Firewalls

PRTG provides some sensor types that work with PaloAlto Firewalls by default, for example, the SNMP Traffic sensor. This template will deploy both some of these standard sensors and custom/specific sensors created specifically for Palo Alto Firewalls such as PA-200, PA-220, PA-3020, PA-5050 and VM-100/200 models.

Adding Custom Sensors Using Auto-Discovery and Template

You can use the device template that we provide below to automatically create the following predefined and custom sensors with the PRTG auto-discovery.

The metrics that are available can vary. The included sensors can monitor the following if the data is available:

• Ping
    • Ping time
    • Minimum
    • Maximum
    • Packet Loss
  • System Uptime
  • Node HA Mode
  • Peer HA Mode
  • Disk Usage
    • Free Space (in %)
    • Free Bytes
    • Total Bytes
  • Memory Usage
    • Percent Available Memory
    • Available Memory
    • Total Memory
  • Gateway Statistics
    • Utilization
    • Active Tunnels
  • Session Statistics
    • Utilization
    • Active Sessions (total)
    • Active Sessions (TCP)
    • Active Sessions (UDP)
    • Active Sessions (ICMP)
  • SSL Proxy Statistics
    • Utilization
    • Active Sessions
  • Temperature
    • State
    • Value
  • Fan Status
    • State
    • RPM
  • CPU Usage
    • One channel for load of each processor
    • Total Load

The device template creates the available and compatible sensors based on the data at hand. The sensors implement default alerts whenever possible, but you can still fine-tune most channels by defining additional limits in the sensor channel settings or by modifying the lookups that are included by default.

Requirements

• PRTG Network Monitor 18.1.37 or later
  • Because the device template relies on the auto-discovery process, the device you want to monitor needs to be reachable via ping.
  • SNMP must be enabled and the device must support the PAN-COMMON-MIB for the Palo-Alto specific sensors.

Known Issues and Limitations

• PRTG shows the alerts as reported by the monitored device via SNMP using lookups. If the status is not reported correctly via SNMP, PRTG cannot detect any issues. For additional alerts, set up limits for additional channels.
  • This device template was created based on data collected from other customers, so we cannot guarantee that the sensors described above will work on your systems or that the default thresholds are optimal for your use case. Use these components at your own risk. Please test and validate the sensors in your environment after deploying them.
  • The "PhysSensor" sensors are index-based, this means that if the device reboots or is updated the indexes may change. If this happens the sensors may no longer work properly. If you update the device, delete these sensors (PhysSensor) and re-run the auto-discovery afterwards.

Deployment and Usage

1. Download the ZIP archive that contains the template files https://gitlab.com/PRTG/Device-Templates/PaloAlto/-/archive/master/PaloAlto-master.zip.
  2. Extract the archive and copy the content of the folder \PRTG to your PRTG program directory. By default, this is %Program Files (x86)%\PRTG Network Monitor\
  3. In PRTG, restart the core server: open Setup | System Administration | Administrative Tools | Restart Core Server and click Go!. This ensures that the MIB and lookups are loaded before you run the auto-discovery.
  4. Create a new device in PRTG with the address (IP or FQDN) of the device that you want to monitor and configure the SNMP credentials accordingly.
  5. Right-click your new device, select Run Auto Discovery with Template, browse for palo and select the Custom Palo-Alto Firewall v0.3 template from the list.
    Note: Using the auto-discovery with a dedicated device template is convenient here because it automates the creation of the custom sensors in an organized fashion.
  6. The sensors are deployed after a couple of seconds.
  7. You can modify the channel limits or lookups later as necessary.

Result

The created sensors will look like this:

Sensor's Overview

Device Overview

Device Overview Right-click and select Open Image in New Tab for full-screen view

Session Statistics Sensor Overview

Device Overview Right-click and select Open Image in New Tab for full-screen view

No sensors deployed? :( Please read ahead for troubleshooting.

Troubleshooting

Have any issues? Please don't hesitate to contact us by replying to this post or via a support ticket. Please make sure to mention this article. Read ahead for troubleshooting steps that you can take in advance.

Auto-Discovery Log

Your auto-discovery log tells you a lot about what went wrong during the sensor's deployment. You can troubleshoot the auto-discovery by inspecting the auto-discovery log. If you get entries like the one below (NOT FOUND), it means that the required protocol or Object Identifier (OID) is not available and the sensors can't be deployed.

[...]
3/7/2018 10:54:17 AM: Template Loaded; Device ID: 10287; Name: Custom Palo-Alto Firewall v0.3
3/7/2018 10:54:18 AM: Template Check; Device ID: 10287; Check ID: ping; FOUND
3/7/2018 10:54:18 AM: Template Assigned; Device ID: 10287; Name: Custom Palo-Alto Firewall v0.3
3/7/2018 10:54:18 AM: Sensor Created; Device ID: 10287; Create ID: pingsensor; Sensor ID: 10341; Name: Ping
3/7/2018 10:54:19 AM: Template Check; Device ID: 10287; Check ID: snmp; FOUND
3/7/2018 10:54:20 AM: Template Check; Device ID: 10287; Check ID: snmpdiskfree; FOUND
3/7/2018 10:54:24 AM: Template Check; Device ID: 10287; Check ID: snmp_entPhySensorTable; NOT FOUND
[...]

In the example above, some sensors were skipped because the device did not respond to the snmp_entPhySensorTable check. This means that this data is probably not available on your device. You can track this data by looking for the name after snmp_. In this case, a search for entPhySensorTable will tell you what OID from what MIB is missing.

You can also use this log to identify if the discovery was interrupted because the device did not respond to ping or to a basic SNMP check.

SNMP Data

If the discovery log is not sufficient, you can review the SNMP data directly from your device. To do so, save the text below (in the white box) as .txt and use it with the Scan Script option in our SNMP Tester. This will allow you to review which SNMP queries succeed and which do not deliver any data. Please have this information at hand when contacting our support team.

--------
Walk Default
--------
hrSystemUptime
walk=1.3.6.1.2.1.25.1.1
--------
MIB-2 System
walk=1.3.6.1.2.1.1
--------
Sensor Specific Queries
----
panGPGatewayUtilization
walk=1.3.6.1.4.1.25461.2.1.2.5.1
---
panSession
walk=1.3.6.1.4.1.25461.2.1.2.3
---
entPhySensorTable
walk=1.3.6.1.2.1.99.1.1
---
panSys
walk=1.3.6.1.4.1.25461.2.1.2.1
---

Created on May 3, 2018 2:02:37 PM by  Noah Loskarn [Paessler Support] (1) 2

Last change on Jul 19, 2022 6:18:38 AM by  Luis Quesada (Paessler Technical Support)

Votes:

Hi, I am able to run this template and discover device objects. However there is an issue when template discover Fan or Power supplies. PRTG creates a sensor name with OID rather than a component name such as FAN -1 etc.

Created on May 14, 2020 6:53:58 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

I'm afraid that this is a known issue we are currently working on. It's not about the template, but about the implementation of the sensor used.

Please bear with me that I cannot tell you when a fix is available at the very moment.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on May 15, 2020 7:56:18 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Dear all, after runnng this template and setting up the monitoring via autodiscover to a 5220 paloalto, I get some sensor working.

However there is no CPU sensor. Is this expected behaviour?

Thanks,

Created on May 26, 2021 8:04:29 AM

Votes:

Hi Chris,

The metrics which are provided by the device can vary. Please note that the list is only the options which could be available.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on May 28, 2021 2:23:24 PM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I am trying to get the template to show up in my list of templates. The directions said to copy the "PRTG" folder to the installation folder. But in the extracted file I cannot find a "PRTG" folder. I copied the "PRTG-PaloAlto" folder instead but still not seeing the template. Any help? I am new to using 3rd party templates on PRTG.

Adam

Created on Oct 19, 2021 7:25:25 PM

Votes:

Hi Adam,

Templates need to be stored in C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\devicetemplates. It could be possible that you will need to restart the Core Server for the templates to be displayed.

Kind regards

Created on Oct 20, 2021 10:35:59 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Felix,

Having the same issue, the instructions are a bit confusing. There are 4 folders in "PRTG-PaloAlto": devicetemplates, lookups, MIB, and webroot.

Are we to copy the contents of the 4 folders into the same named folders?

Like this?

\PRTG-PaloAlto\devicetemplates to C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\devicetemplates \PRTG-PaloAlto
PRTG-PaloAlto\lookups\custom to C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\lookups\custom \PRTG-PaloAlto\MIB to C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\MIB \PRTG-PaloAlto\webroot to C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\webroot

I restarted Core services, and now see "Custom Palo-Alto Firewall v0.3" in "Run Auto-Discovery with Template for x.x.x.x", however still nothing was found.

I tried to add a sensor manually, searched for Pan and Palo, nothing was found.

Any thoughts?

Created on Dec 1, 2021 6:34:49 PM

Votes:

Hi Chris,

device templates won't create any new sensors. If the Auto-Discovery didn't find any new sensors, I would recommend to check the log. In addition, please make sure that your target device supports the PAN-COMMON-MIB.

Kind regards

Created on Dec 3, 2021 7:26:56 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.