What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to turn off alerts for SNMP Printer sensor

Votes:

I've created a map of all the copiers in our organization and added vital sensors such as ping and SNMP Printer. Currently the SNMP printer is almost always listed as "down" because something such as Cyan is low or a paper tray is empty. Although these warnings are important, it makes my map almost all red all the time, essentially rendering it useless. Is there a way to have SNMP alerts display differently or give a different warning so that way i can easily look at my map and distinguish between PING being down and SNMP sensor being down?

alerts printer snmp

Created on May 4, 2018 7:45:20 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Well, you could configure the limits of these sensors accordingly, so that they only raise a warning instead of being down. You can do so in the channel settings of the corresponding sensor(s). Although there's no way to project that on all SNMP based sensors, you'll need to modify them via Multi-Edit.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on May 7, 2018 6:29:38 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have the same intentions about using the "SNMP Print Sensor" to collect such "interesting" historical data etc. :-)

I use the std. setting "Enable alerting based on value lookups", since it requires a minimum of configuration work; and will try to adapt in case of replacing any printer? ;-) I don't want/need to update/adjust a ton of individual channels - so I stick with the "alerting based on value lookups"...

Thereby the sensor WILL change to ERROR/DOWN as soon as any of the channels goes below the predefined limits (e.i. toner low etc.)... :-/

Is it possible to change the default behavior of the "SNMP Print Sensor", so it will NOT change to DOWN, as soon as one of the channels goes below limit/into error-state...??? - Or to make a customized version of the "SNMP Print Sensor", where this behavior is changed?

I too prefer, that our "Heat-MAP" is NOT colored blood RED, just because a printer has a "Toner Low"... :-)

Kind regards Torben Hauge

Created on Nov 16, 2020 10:54:35 AM

Votes:

Well, you could modify the default lookup accordingly and make it write-protected. That would however result in auto-updates being unable to run (read: you'd need to update manually). Would that be a viable way for you?

Created on Nov 17, 2020 4:45:04 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Stephan Linke. Thank you for your suggestion/work around... - That's a nasty way to do it ;-) - but I prefer to let the system updates run automatic; to have all the recommended from PRTG :-)

I have therefore chosen to edit the "Channel Settings" - regarding the toner levels - on all my "SNMP Printer"-sensors; one by one: Lookups and Limits: Select the "Enable alerting based on lookups" + Lookup: "None"

It took a little while - but now it has been done, and things are working, the way I like it :-)

Created on Jan 4, 2021 3:39:44 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.